Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From Romans we read,
“And this do, know the time, that it is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” (Romans 13:11-14 – NASB)
Often we wonder, as we awaken and rise up to a new day, “Just what am I going to do today?” To answer this often asked question, I would suggest we seek out the counsel of the Lord, that from His Word He can speak directly to us and say, “And this do.”
First, THIS DO – “know the time.” We who are disciples of Christ should “know the time” in which we live and move around in, “that it is already the hour for (us) to awaken from sleep.” In other words, we should not be napping in what we “know” to be a day of great spiritual conflict. For the culmination of our “salvation is nearer to us than when we (first) believed.” So be on your toes brethren, be awake, spiritually alert, for “the night is almost gone,” that evil day in which we live is drawing to an end “and the day is at hand,” that “day” of God, when Christ will come.
Second, THIS DO – “lay aside the deeds of darkness,” such “deeds” that are evil and destructive.
Third, THIS DO – “put on the armor of light,” the “armor” that the alert soldier of Christ puts on to be able to war against “the deeds of darkness.”
Fourth, THIS DO – “behave properly,” having your walk be as one who is a true disciple of Christ, behavior ordered by God’s Word.
Fifth, THIS DO – put away from yourself any “carousing” or “drunkenness” or “sexual promiscuity and sensuality” or “strife” or “jealousy.” These things are “deeds of darkness” and our Lord would not have us to be taking part in them or have them characterize us.
Sixth, THIS DO – “put on the Lord Jesus Christ,” take on His example in your walk. Clothe yourself with Him and His righteousness.
Seventh, THIS DO – “make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” O what a key factor in our behavior as those who belong to “Christ.” Do not give place to that which would cause you to want to fulfill the “lusts” of “the flesh.”
Counsel from God’s Word to we who are His, who so frequently ask, “Just what am I going to do today?”
Have a good day brethren . . . and allow the Word of God to direct your steps as you move around in this world in which you and I live.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas