Praise and thanksgiving to our Father in heaven and to the Lord Jesus Christ, who sits at the right hand of the Father, He who is our Advocate, our great High Priest. As the new morning dawns such attention, turned toward our great God, sets the proper tone for the day. May His will be done in each of our lives.
I would draw your attention to this Bible text from Romans, chapter 12,
- “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” (Romans 12:1 – NASB)
The apostle Paul is “urging” his “brethren,” his brothers and sisters in Christ, to do something. He desires that they “present (their) bodies a living and holy sacrifice,” one that is “acceptable to God.” He says to them that this “is your spiritual service of worship.”
Paul’s calling to believers in Rome comes after he has written eleven chapters already, eleven chapters regarding “the mercies of God.” One can tell by his use of the word “therefore” that what Paul is asking is based on what he has already written to them; “based on the mercies of God which I have given to you . . . do this!”
Ah, “the mercies of God,” so very evident as one reads the first eleven chapters of the book of Romans. When I think of how one would define these “mercies” to say, a fellow believer or, for that matter, even to a non-believer, without giving them the entire eleven chapters, three verses stand out in my mind regarding “the mercies of God.”
- “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23 – NASB)
- “For the wages of sin is death . . .” (Romans 6:23a – NASB)
- “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8 – NASB)
And in conclusion, though “the wages of sin is death,” because of God’s “love toward us . . . in . . . Christ” who “died for us,”
- “. . . the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23b – NASB)
Oh what blessed words! These are words I put to memory years ago and they never cease to be a blessing in my life. And based on these precious words, these words that tell us our condition before God, and the “wages” due that condition, “God demonstrate(ed) His own love toward us” in sending His Son Jesus, the “Christ,” who “died for us.”
This is the “therefore.” This is the meat of why Paul calls out to each and every believer, “I urge you, therefore, brethren,” based on “the mercies of God” which I have shared with you, “present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice , acceptable to God.” This is the proper response that “is your spiritual service of worship.” And appropriately so . . . for we were separated from God by our sin, and thus existing in a state of “death,” with the wrath of God due each one of us (see Ephesians 2:1-4) . . . “But God . . . .”
That’s what Paul writes in Ephesians 2:4 also, “But God . . .” (Ephesians 2:4). And so, a proper urging, would you not agree brethren, if you have tasted of the glorious redemptive power of God in Christ?
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk seek to be a holy and acceptable sacrifice to God, a sacrifice that is a sweet aroma to Him who has loved us in Christ.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR