My Scripture text for today is found at the very end of the book of Ecclesiastes,
- “The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly . . . The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.” (Ecclesiastes 12:10, 12-13 – NASB)
So . . . . it is that day, that time that we ceremoniously refer to as “New Year’s Eve.” It is a festive time in most people’s minds with the following day being recognized as an official holiday. New Year’s day is a day of parades and sporting events and parties, and for most, a day off from work. As the new year is but hours away it is thought by many, “We can have a new start, we can wipe the slate clean from a year gone by and have a fresh new year to work with.”
In the midst of all the ceremony and celebration people make what are commonly called, “New Year’s resolutions.” The word resolution means, “a formal expression of opinion or intention made . . . a determination . . . the act of resolving or determining a course of action.” That says it! “Determining a course of action.” As the New Year comes into being people all around the world are in a mood of “determining a course of action.” This determination is meant to fulfill the desires of their hearts.
One might say that “The Preacher,” who penned the inspired words of the book of Ecclesiastes, was in a state of constantly “determining a course of action.” He was looking to fulfill the desires of his heart. He “sought to find delightful words,” something we can all relate with, and he sought to “write words of truth correctly.” Again, something we can relate with. Maybe these would not be our “resolutions” for the New Year but I think his “conclusion” is certainly worthy of our consideration;
- “fear God and keep His commandments”
God says to us through “the Preacher,” do this . . .
- “because this applies to every person.”
If we are going to make a New Year’s resolution, and there is nothing wrong in doing that, then what we need to do is to take counsel from God’s Word. We need to activate our will to do His will, to determine our course of action to be, to “fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.”
Wise counsel would be to do this because, when all things are considered, it is what really matters . . .
- “For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.”
And so I leave with you these words from God as you consider a course of action for the New Year, a “resolution.” Surely it is a most profitable one to pursue, would you not agree? And surely it should be our heart’s desire.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, fear God and keep His commandments (noting John 14:21, 23; 15:9-10).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas