Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of Isaiah we read,
- “He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him” (Isaiah 53:3 – NKJV)
From this writing of the prophet Isaiah, written some 600 years before the incarnation, we read of Jesus the Christ. He was the One who was “despised and rejected by men,” He was “a Man of sorrows.” The great old hymn comes to mind as I note this description of Christ . . . I have sung it so often . . . it is titled, “Hallelujah, What A Savior.” It begins with these words from Isaiah,
- ” ‘Man of Sorrows!’ what a name, for the Son of God, who came.
- Ruined sinners to reclaim! Hallelujah, what a Savior!”
It is a most sad report that rings forth from the prophet’s pen. The One who created all things (John 1:11; Revelation 4:11), you would think that He would find great joy in His creation. But mankind, His crowning work of creation, has defied Him, rebelled against Him, and has brought great grief to Him.
- “Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart” (Genesis 6:5-6 – NKJV)
You would think that the One who created “man” would get back from him the love and devotion He deserves. But no, “man” spurns the love of the One who has created him, he commits great “wickedness . . . and every intent of the thoughts of his heart (are) only evil continually.” This has taken the joy from the LORD and He has been sorrowful “that He made man.” Mankind has caused the LORD to be “grieved in His heart.”
But despite this great rebellion, the LORD has not dealt with man in wrath but, instead, He has acted in great love! The very “Son of God . . . came, ruined sinners to reclaim!” He came to . . .
- ” . . . release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage . . . to make propitiation for the sins of the people.” (Hebrews 2:15, 17 – NKJV)
What a profound thing has happened! The Creator “came” to “release those who . . . were all their lifetime subject to bondage.” How was He received? Certainly not how He deserved to be received, rather He was “despised and rejected,” the created “hid (their) faces from Him” and did not “esteem Him,” or i.e., “estimated Him as nothing.” He “came” and He was “a Man of Sorrows.”
Yet that did not stop Him from going to the cross. It did not stop Him from “mak(ing) propitiation for the sins of the people.” It did not stop Him from carrying out the work of redemption. It did not stop Him from making it possible for man to be reconciled to God! The old hymn says it so very well . . . . . .
- “Hallelujah, what a Savior!”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you consider all this, do you not love Him even more?
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas