From Peter’s last letter we read . . . .
- “. . . looking for and hastening the day of God . . . we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells . . . Therefore . . . since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of the Lord to be salvation . . . be on your guard lest, being carried away by the error or unprincipled men, you fall from your own steadfastness; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (II Peter 3:12-18 – NASB)
Sometimes we wonder, “Just how am I, a disciple of Christ, to be in this world I currently live in?” The apostle Peter, in his last letter before his martyrdom, wrote, “This is how we are to be.”
We are to be a people who are “looking for . . . the day of God,” desiring that it would come soon. I’m of that mind, are you? Oh how I pray, “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10).
We are to be a people who “are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.” Brethren, this world, this nation we live in, it is a mess . . . and it is getting worse! Oh for “new heavens and a new earth,” and especially one “in which righteousness dwells.” Think of it! A world wherein Christ reigns, and as only He can do, righteously! I’m desiring that, are you?
We are to be a people that should be “diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless.” We earnestly seek to walk as He would have us walk, “diligent” in our endeavor to “be found by Him” in the sphere of “peace,” not ashamed at His coming as we walk “to be found by Him . . . spotless and blameless.”
We are to be a people that do not jump the gun! For we know, that even though we are “looking for and hastening the day of God,” we know that “the patience of the Lord” means people are still being saved, the church is still being built. So we are careful to remember that “the patience of the Lord” is “salvation.”
Since this is how we are to be Peter warns us,”be on your guard.” Do not be “carried away by the error of unprincipled men,” by those who “distort . . . the Scriptures” (v-16), for in “knowing” that the “day of God” is coming we also know that demonic activity will increase, deception will increase, distortion of the truth will increase (read Matthew 24), and if we are not on our “guard” we take the chance of “fall(ing) from (our) own steadfastness.” A “steadfastness” that is rooted in God’s Word, the truth rightly divided.
That said . . . . the command of our Lord to us through the writing of His faithful servant Peter: Be continually “grow(ing) (verb is in the present tense, in the imperative mood – a command to do something continuously) in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” And how does one do this? By reading and studying and rightly dividing the Word!
Ahhhhhh yes . . . this is how we are to be until His coming! This is it!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be looking for and hastening the Lord’s return, not stressed out but at peace, the peace that is realized in walking as we have been called to walk, spotless and blameless, continuously on guard so that you may not fall from your steadfastness in the faith, in the truth . . . . continuously growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR