“Tomorrow,” he promised his conscience…
Tomorrow is only a day away, but the real question is what will it bring? Will the sun come out tomorrow? That’s a question that will remind many of a popular song from the musical “Annie” in 1977, title “Tomorrow.” It begins with the words, the sun will come out tomorrow, and proclaims sunny optimism for a better day to come. While many people know the words of the song, most don’t know that it was originally written in 1970 and titled, “The Way We Live Now,” for the short film Replay.
Hmmm… the way we live now? Are we always hoping, and always waiting, for a sunny tomorrow? The words of this song proclaim hope, and confidence and “sunny” optimism in a day that is always “a day away.”
The sun will come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
There’ll be sun
Just thinkin’ about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
’til there’s none
When I’m stuck with a day that’s gray and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say, oh
The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on ’til tomorrow,
come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow
You’re only a day away!
As Christians, we do have hope in all our tomorrows. But we also know that tomorrow will not clear away cobwebs and sorrow. And more significantly, it’s not tomorrow that we long for, and we don’t “love ya tomorrow.” Our hopeful optimism and confident expectation of a sunny tomorrow is founded in the Lord of Tomorrow, Jesus. And it’s founded in Him NOW. No waiting for tomorrow. But always looking toward to tomorrow with confident expectation.
As Christians, we look forward to each new day, knowing that:
- joy comes in the morning (Ps 30:5),
- with each new day we receive God’s loving kindness (Psa 143:8), and
- we have another opportunity to proclaim His love to others (Ps 92:2).
When we are “stuck with a day that’s gray and lonely,” we don’t just “stick up [our] chin and grin…” and look to tomorrow. That’s dependence on self.
Instead, we lift up our eyes and look to Heaven. That’s dependence on Jesus. Why should we “go it alone,” when Jesus has promised to always be with us (Heb 13:5) and to help us in all things pertaining to life (2 Peter 1:3)
It’s not the hope of tomorrow that we hang on to, it’s the hope we have in Jesus. He is our sure and steadfast hope, is an anchor for our souls (Heb 6:19).
Will the Sun Come Out Tomorrow?
Yes, it will. We know that the sun will rise tomorrow. God set the sun in the heavens and until the end of time when God makes all things new the sun will rise every day in accordance with God’s design and purpose.
While it’s guaranteed that the sun will rise tomorrow, there is no guaranteed that we will rise. Every day is a gift from God and each day of our lives is numbered by Him.
The day will come when “death” will “call” and we take our last breath. So the real question is, will you see the Son or will you see only darkness when you step into eternity? That’s a decision every person with breath in their soul will make. If they choose the Son, by repenting and trusting in Jesus, the Light of the World will always rise before them. If they reject Jesus, darkness will overcome their sun.
Treasure Each Day
For those who believe, every new day is an opportunity to draw closer to God and to serve others in His name.
For those who do not believe, every passing day is a gift of mercy and every new day is an opportunity to come to the Son, to repent and trust in Him, and to receive His gift of eternal life.
Share the Gospel
Don’t let family and friends (who don’t belong to Jesus) put off until tomorrow that which they must do today. Today is the day of Salvation (2 Corinthians 6:2), for tomorrow might not come (Prov 27:1, James 4:14).
The words of a poem (author unknown) remind us of the urgency of sharing the gospel.
Let these words about “tomorrow” be a motivation to tell others about Gods amazing love, His kindness, His mercy, and the saving grace of Jesus.
“Tomorrow,” he promised his conscience. Tomorrow I mean to believe.
Tomorrow I’ll live as I ought to. Tomorrow the Saviour receive.
Tomorrow there’s time to repent, Of the sins that are holding me sway.
But ever his conscience repeated, One word, and one only “Today.”
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Thus day after day it went on.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Till life like a vapor was gone.
‘Til age and its passions had written, The message of loss on his brow.
Then forth from the shadows came death With a pitiless syllable, “Now!”
The problem with all our “tomorrows,” They lurk in the future and stay.
They’re totally worthless and useless. The only sure thing is today.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray for the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken, sinful person from darkness to light.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED