“Tomorrow,” he promised his conscience…
Tomorrow is only a day away, but the real question is what will it bring? Will the sun come out tomorrow? That’s a question that will remind many of a popular song from the musical “Annie” in 1977, title “Tomorrow.” It begins with the words, the sun will come out tomorrow, and proclaims sunny optimism for a better day to come. While many people know the words of the song, most don’t know that it was originally written in 1970 and titled, “The Way We Live Now,” for the short film Replay.
Hmmm… the way we live now? Are we always hoping, and always waiting, for a sunny tomorrow? The words of this song proclaim hope, and confidence and “sunny” optimism in a day that is always “a day away.”
The sun will come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
There’ll be sun
Just thinkin’ about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
’til there’s none
When I’m stuck with a day that’s gray and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say, oh
The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on ’til tomorrow,
come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow
You’re only a day away!
As Christians, we do have hope in all our tomorrows. But we also know that tomorrow will not clear away cobwebs and sorrow. And more significantly, it’s not tomorrow that we long for, and we don’t “love ya tomorrow.” Our hopeful optimism and confident expectation of a sunny tomorrow is founded in the Lord of Tomorrow, Jesus. And it’s founded in Him NOW. No waiting for tomorrow. But always looking toward to tomorrow with confident expectation.
As Christians, we look forward to each new day, knowing that:
- joy comes in the morning (Ps 30:5),
- with each new day we receive God’s loving kindness (Psa 143:8), and
- we have another opportunity to proclaim His love to others (Ps 92:2).
When we are “stuck with a day that’s gray and lonely,” we don’t just “stick up [our] chin and grin…” and look to tomorrow. That’s dependence on self.
Instead, we lift up our eyes and look to Heaven. That’s dependence on Jesus. Why should we “go it alone,” when Jesus has promised to always be with us (Heb 13:5) and to help us in all things pertaining to life (2 Peter 1:3)
It’s not the hope of tomorrow that we hang on to, it’s the hope we have in Jesus. He is our sure and steadfast hope, is an anchor for our souls (Heb 6:19).
Will the Sun Come Out Tomorrow?
Yes, it will. We know that the sun will rise tomorrow. God set the sun in the heavens and until the end of time when God makes all things new the sun will rise every day in accordance with God’s design and purpose.
While it’s guaranteed that the sun will rise tomorrow, there is no guaranteed that we will rise. Every day is a gift from God and each day of our lives is numbered by Him.
The day will come when “death” will “call” and we take our last breath. So the real question is, will you see the Son or will you see only darkness when you step into eternity? That’s a decision every person with breath in their soul will make. If they choose the Son, by repenting and trusting in Jesus, the Light of the World will always rise before them. If they reject Jesus, darkness will overcome their sun.
Treasure Each Day
For those who believe, every new day is an opportunity to draw closer to God and to serve others in His name.
For those who do not believe, every passing day is a gift of mercy and every new day is an opportunity to come to the Son, to repent and trust in Him, and to receive His gift of eternal life.
Share the Gospel
Don’t let family and friends (who don’t belong to Jesus) put off until tomorrow that which they must do today. Today is the day of Salvation (2 Corinthians 6:2), for tomorrow might not come (Prov 27:1, James 4:14).
The words of a poem (author unknown) remind us of the urgency of sharing the gospel.
Let these words about “tomorrow” be a motivation to tell others about Gods amazing love, His kindness, His mercy, and the saving grace of Jesus.
“Tomorrow,” he promised his conscience. Tomorrow I mean to believe.
Tomorrow I’ll live as I ought to. Tomorrow the Saviour receive.
Tomorrow there’s time to repent, Of the sins that are holding me sway.
But ever his conscience repeated, One word, and one only “Today.”
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Thus day after day it went on.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Till life like a vapor was gone.
‘Til age and its passions had written, The message of loss on his brow.
Then forth from the shadows came death With a pitiless syllable, “Now!”
The problem with all our “tomorrows,” They lurk in the future and stay.
They’re totally worthless and useless. The only sure thing is today.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray for the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken, sinful person from darkness to light.
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is it a sin to be FAT?
- To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
- What is MAUNDY THURSDAY about?
- What is the UNPARDONABLE sin? What if I commit it?
- Will Impure Thoughts Condemn Me? How do I fight them?
- Who were the Nephalim?
- To Tat or Not to Tat (Tattoo). Is that the Question?
- Is there a HIDEN MESSAGE in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
- Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
- Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn't die?
- Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
- Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
- How should I WITNESS to Jehovah's Witnesses?
The Top Ten of 2016
- Is the US GOVERNMENT in the Book of Isaiah?
- Pause to PRAY
- Jesus WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- At the GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Following the GOOD, GREAT, CHIEF, SHEPHERD
- Surely This was a RIGHTEOUS MAN
- But, IF NOT
- Seven Things Christians Must REMEMBER
- Are You GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- The Totem of SALVATION
Share your faith...