Note the salutation of the Gospel of Luke,
- “inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the certainty of those things in which you have been instructed.” (Luke 1:1-4 – NKJV)
Certainty is a good thing, would you not agree? And when it comes to the faith that we embrace, it is good to know that the certainty of it all has been recorded in the Bible by capable and knowledgeable men.
Luke, “the beloved physician” (Colossians 4:14), undertook “to set in order a narrative” of “things” which he had heard of regarding Jesus the Christ. Many things had “been fulfilled,” had taken place “among” him and others that, in Luke’s mind, needed to be recorded. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and with the works of “eyewitnesses and ministers of the word” that had been “delivered to” him, he wrote his gospel and the book Acts.
Luke noted that he “had a perfect understanding of all things” that involved Jesus’ ministry “from the very first.” He wanted to “write . . . an orderly account” of them, one that would set to record the truth for “most excellent Theophilus” and of course, many others that would read his writings then and now.
The Bible is not some haphazard accumulation of writings that lacks in credibility. Luke says in his opening statement that he undertook “to write . . . that you may know the certainty of those things in which you have been instructed.” Theophilus, and others, had been told of many things regarding Jesus, stories were abounding. He saw the need to confirm these things by writing an “orderly account” of them. His gospel and the book of Acts are a two-volume set of books that speaks to the certainty of it all “from the very first.”
Brethren, when we quote the Bible we are not repeating words of uncertainty. We are, in fact, speaking words that are of the utmost reliability. We have in the Bible “a narrative” that can be relied upon, writings that are not “a matter of one’s own interpretation . . . but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God” (II Peter 1:20-21) and wrote accordingly. It is a most wonderful thing to have the Word of God, the Word of Truth (John 17:17), passed down to us that we might know the certainty of it all.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so certain of what has been written to you by those who have gone before us.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store