Note the salutation of the Gospel of Luke,
- “inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the certainty of those things in which you have been instructed.” (Luke 1:1-4 – NKJV)
Certainty is a good thing, would you not agree? And when it comes to the faith that we embrace, it is good to know that the certainty of it all has been recorded in the Bible by capable and knowledgeable men.
Luke, “the beloved physician” (Colossians 4:14), undertook “to set in order a narrative” of “things” which he had heard of regarding Jesus the Christ. Many things had “been fulfilled,” had taken place “among” him and others that, in Luke’s mind, needed to be recorded. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and with the works of “eyewitnesses and ministers of the word” that had been “delivered to” him, he wrote his gospel and the book Acts.
Luke noted that he “had a perfect understanding of all things” that involved Jesus’ ministry “from the very first.” He wanted to “write . . . an orderly account” of them, one that would set to record the truth for “most excellent Theophilus” and of course, many others that would read his writings then and now.
The Bible is not some haphazard accumulation of writings that lacks in credibility. Luke says in his opening statement that he undertook “to write . . . that you may know the certainty of those things in which you have been instructed.” Theophilus, and others, had been told of many things regarding Jesus, stories were abounding. He saw the need to confirm these things by writing an “orderly account” of them. His gospel and the book of Acts are a two-volume set of books that speaks to the certainty of it all “from the very first.”
Brethren, when we quote the Bible we are not repeating words of uncertainty. We are, in fact, speaking words that are of the utmost reliability. We have in the Bible “a narrative” that can be relied upon, writings that are not “a matter of one’s own interpretation . . . but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God” (II Peter 1:20-21) and wrote accordingly. It is a most wonderful thing to have the Word of God, the Word of Truth (John 17:17), passed down to us that we might know the certainty of it all.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so certain of what has been written to you by those who have gone before us.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas