The Lord is my light and my salvation . . . — Psalm 27:1
No truer words…Jesus is both Light and Salvation. And while His salvation is given to those who come to Him in faith, His light is not limited to those alone. The light of Jesus came into our world, even before the earth was formed and all that dwells therein was created.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
The Light that came into our world on day one of creation week was not the sun. The sun was not created until day four (Genesis 1:16-19). The separation of light from the darkness was not the separation of daytime hours from the nighttime hours. That, also, took place on day four (Genesis 1:18).
The light that God called “Day” in Genesis 1:5 is Jesus. He is the True Light and He gives light to all (John 1:9). So the darkness God called “Night” would be the darkness that exists without Jesus. In God’s first work of creation, Jesus changed the world from darkness (vs 1) to Light (vs 3), from “Night” (the absence of Jesus) to “Day” (His presence), and God declared this to be the evening and the morning of the first day. It should be noted that God’s designation of evening and morning does not mean time as we know it, time as determined by the rising and setting of the sun. It is the absence of Light/Jesus (evening/darkness) and the His presence (morning/Light).
This distinction of evening and morning set into place a choice of darkness or light, of no Jesus or Jesus–a choice that all must make.
So, in our Triune God’s great love, the earth and all that dwells therein was formed on a foundation of the Light of Jesus. And even before man was created, God set in place the choice of darkness or Light.
Perfect Creation / Perfect Love
Remember that Adam was created in perfection, in God’s Kingdom of Light. The Light had been separated from the darkness. Sadly, when Adam sinned, he chose darkness and, in doing so, he plunged the world into darkness. Since that time, every person born is born into darkness. But Light still remains. And, for those who choose God, they are translated into the Kingdom of God, the Kingdom of Light:
Col 1:13-14 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
From the first day of creation, our Triune God began to proclaim His glory; and from the moment Adam sinned God revealed a Rescuer would come (Gen 3:15). God, in His great love, graced man with more and more Light. Through prophecy and revelation, God began revealing His plan of redemption so man would have Light to see in the darkness.
The apostle Matthew wrote of Jesus’ public ministry in fulfillment of that which was prophesied by the prophet Isaiah:
Mat 4:15-15 “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, By the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles: The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned.“
Jesus, the Light of man, entered into our world. But many did not see Him.
John 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
John 1:5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
John 1:11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.
We’ve Seen the Light
For those who belong to Jesus, for we who have repented and trusted in the Light for our salvation (Ps 27:1), we have been made God’s children.
1 Th 5:5 You are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
Live in the Light
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
Celebrate the Light
What does it mean to “celebrate the Light?” It means to rejoice in your salvation; to abound with praises offered to the One who is Light; to enjoy Him and to be glad (Ps 118:24). It means to find delight in Jesus.
Psa 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD…
Psa 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God…
Psa 94:19 …Your comforts delight my soul.
Psa 119:24 Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.
Jesus is the Light that guides us and only Jesus can dispel the gloom of sin, sorrow, and darkness.
Have a Delight-filled Day!
John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store