The Lord is my light and my salvation . . . — Psalm 27:1
No truer words…Jesus is both Light and Salvation. And while His salvation is given to those who come to Him in faith, His light is not limited to those alone. The light of Jesus came into our world, even before the earth was formed and all that dwells therein was created.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
The Light that came into our world on day one of creation week was not the sun. The sun was not created until day four (Genesis 1:16-19). The separation of light from the darkness was not the separation of daytime hours from the nighttime hours. That, also, took place on day four (Genesis 1:18).
The light that God called “Day” in Genesis 1:5 is Jesus. He is the True Light and He gives light to all (John 1:9). So the darkness God called “Night” would be the darkness that exists without Jesus. In God’s first work of creation, Jesus changed the world from darkness (vs 1) to Light (vs 3), from “Night” (the absence of Jesus) to “Day” (His presence), and God declared this to be the evening and the morning of the first day. It should be noted that God’s designation of evening and morning does not mean time as we know it, time as determined by the rising and setting of the sun. It is the absence of Light/Jesus (evening/darkness) and the His presence (morning/Light).
This distinction of evening and morning set into place a choice of darkness or light, of no Jesus or Jesus–a choice that all must make.
So, in our Triune God’s great love, the earth and all that dwells therein was formed on a foundation of the Light of Jesus. And even before man was created, God set in place the choice of darkness or Light.
Perfect Creation / Perfect Love
Remember that Adam was created in perfection, in God’s Kingdom of Light. The Light had been separated from the darkness. Sadly, when Adam sinned, he chose darkness and, in doing so, he plunged the world into darkness. Since that time, every person born is born into darkness. But Light still remains. And, for those who choose God, they are translated into the Kingdom of God, the Kingdom of Light:
Col 1:13-14 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
From the first day of creation, our Triune God began to proclaim His glory; and from the moment Adam sinned God revealed a Rescuer would come (Gen 3:15). God, in His great love, graced man with more and more Light. Through prophecy and revelation, God began revealing His plan of redemption so man would have Light to see in the darkness.
The apostle Matthew wrote of Jesus’ public ministry in fulfillment of that which was prophesied by the prophet Isaiah:
Mat 4:15-15 “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, By the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles: The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned.“
Jesus, the Light of man, entered into our world. But many did not see Him.
John 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
John 1:5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
John 1:11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.
We’ve Seen the Light
For those who belong to Jesus, for we who have repented and trusted in the Light for our salvation (Ps 27:1), we have been made God’s children.
1 Th 5:5 You are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
Live in the Light
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
Celebrate the Light
What does it mean to “celebrate the Light?” It means to rejoice in your salvation; to abound with praises offered to the One who is Light; to enjoy Him and to be glad (Ps 118:24). It means to find delight in Jesus.
Psa 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD…
Psa 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God…
Psa 94:19 …Your comforts delight my soul.
Psa 119:24 Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.
Jesus is the Light that guides us and only Jesus can dispel the gloom of sin, sorrow, and darkness.
Have a Delight-filled Day!
John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas