From the prophet Micah, God has blessed us with a great prophecy about the birth place of Christ.
Micah 5:2-4 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting.” Therefore He shall give them up, Until the time that she who is in labor has given birth; Then the remnant of His brethren Shall return to the children of Israel. And He shall stand and feed His flock In the strength of the LORD, In the majesty of the name of the LORD His God; And they shall abide, For now He shall be great To the ends of the earth;
Phillip Brooks, considered by many “a prince among preachers,” was born in 1835. On December 24, 1865, Pastor Brooks found himself far away from his Philadelphia congregation at Holy Trinity Church. He was in Palestine, the Holy Land. It was Christmas Eve, and from the city of Jerusalem, Brooks made the trek to the little town of Bethlehem. That trip, that night, was to have a profound effect on Pastor Brooks’ life.
Times were difficult for Brooks as he sought to minister to his congregation during the difficult days of the Civil War. And to add to that Brooks was the one asked to give the funeral message over President Abraham Lincoln, who had been assassinated. A man of only thirty some years, but the tumultuous days in which he ministered had taken their toll on him and it was evident in his worn appearance. It was in his trek to Bethlehem on that Christmas Eve that Brooks seemed to draw strength for his ministry.
Returning to America, Brooks enlisted the aid of his friend Lewis Redner to help him in building up the Holy Trinity Church’s outreach. Starting with thirty children and a somewhat small congregation, the two men built the ministry up to where over 1,000 children were attending Sunday School on Sunday mornings and the pews for the worship services were overfilled.
In 1868, looking to write something for the Sunday School, Brooks thought back to his Bethlehem journey. Drawing from that life-changing experience, on Christmas Eve of 1868, he penned the poem “O Little Town Of Bethlehem.” With the aid of music being added to the words of the poem by his associate Redner, on Christmas morning, the great Christmas hymn was born
Surely this seasonal hymn has become a standard, one heard and sung in churches all around the world at this time of year. It is one that is familiar to all of us, Christian and non-Christian alike. Its words speak to the heart: “So God imparts to human hearts, The blessings of His heav’n,” and offer hope to all people: ” No ear may hear His coming, But in this world of sin, Where meek souls will receive Him still, The dear Christ enters in.”
John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.
I can practically write this hymn from memory . . . it has been such a blessing to me over the years. I pray that it is a blessing to you also. Let us joyously say with Brooks and Redner, “O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel.”
Have a good day . . . and as you walk through your day, recall to mind the prophecy of Micah and the fulfillment of that prophecy that took place that first Christmas in Bethlehem.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED