Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
We receive the new morning, the new day, with praise! We offer up to the Father in heaven our thanks that He would give us the time on this earth that He does. And we stop to consider His Word and His instruction to us, that within the new day, our steps may be ordered by His counsel.
Genesis 39:7-8, 11-12 – NASB
- “And it came about after these events that his master’s wife looked with desire at Joseph, and she said, ‘Lie with me.’ But he refused and said . . . ‘How then could I do this great evil, and sin against God?’ . . . Now it happened one day that he went into the house to do his work, and none of the men of the household was there inside. And she caught him by his garment, saying, ‘Lie with me!’ And he left his garment in her hand and fled . . .”
Potiphar, an Egyptian officer of Pharaoh (Genesis 39:1), had made Joseph the overseer of his house. A prestigious position for the young man for sure, one of great responsibility, and what would turn out to be, one of great challenge. Within this historical record from the Word we are given practical insight as to the matter of sexual immorality and, what it is we are to do when confronted by the temptation to commit sexual sin . . . run!
It would seem that in this particular situation it did not work out so well for Joseph, as he ended up in prison due to the lies of Potiphar’s wife. But, with further reading, we know that God would bless Joseph for his faithfulness. And the favorable outcome of events in Joseph’s life are in fact blessings from God, as God sovereignly brought about good in response to Joseph’s obedient walk.
In Our Day…
the temptation to commit sexual sin is extremely strong. This nation of America, the world around us, seems to be in constant pursuit of sexual gratification, with the desire to fulfill fleshly lusts. And the media of our time caters to these cravings with unabashed fervor. Considering the times in which you and I live, there probably has never been before, in the history of mankind, the vast means by which the flesh can be tempted to “sin against God.”
In the midst of all this, God, in His Word, commands us
- “Flee immorality.” (I Corinthians 6:18 – NASB)
And, He says it again in the letter to the Thessalonians,
- ” . . . abstain from sexual immorality” (I Thessalonians 4:3 – NASB)
The Greek word for “flee” means, literally or figuratively, “to run away.” We are “to run away” from “sexual immorality,” doing just as God showed us through His servant Joseph.
The temptation to commit sexual sin is heightened by today’s world and its mass media. It can seem almost overwhelming at times. Our calling brethren, when faced with the temptation to commit sexual immorality, sexual sin, is to run!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, be aware of your surroundings and the devil’s snares, and do not give into the flesh but summit to the Spirit and the instruction of His Word.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas