Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the apostle Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi we read,
- “. . . although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” (Philippians 2:6-8 – NASB)
Remembering the wondrous story . . . should it not be that we are doing just that? “He existed in the form of God,” Jesus our Savior, very God, the Creator. But He “did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,” to be held onto, to be that which would keep Him from doing what He intended to do. No, He instead “emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.” God “humbled Himself . . . being found in appearance as a man” . . . the God-man . . . the “bond-servant” to mankind, “becoming obedient to” the will dictated by God, a will that the Scripture tells us was “to the point of death.” Jesus, the Christ, the Lord of glory, “obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” Deity took on flesh and was found “in the likeness of men,” and carried out a divine work that made it possible for man to reconciled to God. No sin could ever be too great to overcome this most wondrous work of redemption that God has worked out in His Son.
Yes Lord, we are remembering the wondrous story . . . that You, already having humbled Yourself in the incarnation, went even further than this, subjecting Yourself to sinful man, subjecting Yourself to the humiliating and terribly painful means of death . . . crucifixion . . . public crucifixion . . . “even death on a cross.”
Oh what a wondrous work . . . Oh what a wondrous story we have to tell . . . Oh what a Savior! The old hymn says it well,
- “I will sing the wondrous story of the Christ who died for me,
- How He left His home in glory for the cross at Calvary.
- (refrain) Yes, I’ll sing the wondrous story of the Christ who died for me,
- Sing it with the saints in glory, gathered by the crystal sea.”
My oh my . . . what a wondrous story! Thank you Lord for all that You have done to redeem my fallen soul! And by Your grace I will not only “sing” of it ‘in glory” but in this life also . . . and by Your grace, I will never forget it!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk think upon the wondrous story of what Christ has done and be aware that there is no other work that can possibly be greater than this, no greater act of love.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas