From First Corinthians we read,
- “Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry . . . What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.” (I Corinthians 10:14, 19-21 – NASB)
Really . . . “demons?” Are there actually “demons” in this world? There are many who would deny the “demons” of the spiritual realm, many that would deny they exist, and this would even include people who attend churches. They tend to respond to the subject of “demons” by saying, “Really?”
I remember teaching at our Hospitality House in Panama when my wife and I were with OCSC (Overseas Christian Servicemen’s Centers – a mission organization that ministers to the military; now titled Cadence). I remember that as I taught on the subject of “demons,” the Methodist chaplain just shook his head in disbelief. He was of the school that tended to deny the existence of these spiritual warriors for Satan. Odd isn’t it, something so clearly taught in the Bible but yet so many, even amongst so-called protestant chaplains and pastors, who profess to be Christians, that want to explain such beings away.
I was of the mind that the chaplain was saying quietly as he sat in attendance, “Really . . . demons?” The teaching of “demons” makes a lot of people uncomfortable, especially the unbelieving.
The apostle Paul commanded his “beloved” brethren in Corinth to “flee from idolatry.” In Corinth, a city given over to pagan worship, he wanted them to know that “things which” are “sacrificed” to “idols” are “sacrificed to demons.” If an “idol” was being given acceptance and reverence and one’s service of worship, they were in effect being “sharers in demons.” And Paul made it very clear that if you are going to give in and honor the “idols” of the pagan rituals instead of “the cup of the Lord” and “the table of the Lord,” then you were partaking of “the cup of demons,” of “the table of demons.”
There is a foe that comes against us that we cannot see but is for a fact, very real! The spiritual world is inhabited by “demons,” and these are under the command of Satan. Like Satan they have no redeeming qualities, and they are not beings that ever desire to repent and turn to Christ. They seek, with marching orders from their master, to deceive and destroy. They design snares and schemes and deceptions to entrap humans and keep them from the worship of the true God. You can imagine their sense of accomplishment when they are able to get people to be “sharers” with them in their evil work.
The church at Corinth, believers that had come out of deep-rooted pagan worship practices, was being wooed back into the demonic folds that once held them captive. The apostle Paul commanded them to “flee from” these things. He acknowledged to them that “demons” do exist and that they are very real and for that matter, active. And he made it clear that believers cannot have both, “demons” and their “idols” and also have Christ. They were called to “flee” the demonic and serve the Lord Jesus Christ only.
Beware brethren, for “demons” are quite real. And they are devious and cunning and they are active, attempting to have you become a “sharer” with them in their practices and observances, ones that cater to the eyes and senses and the emotions, ones that are in opposition to the Word of truth, the Word of God.
It is not for us to deny and say, “Really . . . demons?” But rather, it is for us to say, “Really . . . demons!”
Have a good day brethren . . . and do not shake your head in doubt that demons are real. Understand and acknowledge that they are real and they are actively at work. And their work is evil and wicked and of no redeeming worth. It is up to us to know the Word and not be tripped up by their schemes (cf. II Corinthians 2:11).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas