Note our text from First Corinthians,
- “Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (I Corinthians 6:9-10 – NASB)
Quite a list, is it not? Many people say that Christianity is a big list of things you shouldn’t do, and that does not set well with the rebellious, non-believing heart.
Of course if one knows what the Bible says it will find lists of things we are not to practice, such things that are not the will of God for His creation. But, counter to that, you will also find lists of things we should practice, things we should do, things that bear witness of a regenerated heart (note also, Galatians 5:16-25). Quite simply, the unregenerate person practices the things that are listed in our text while the regenerate person does not practice them anymore . . .
- “And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.” (I Corinthians 6:11 – NASB)
The apostle Paul writes that “such were some of you.” You “were” identified by these practices “but” things have changed for you who are of “the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and” of “the Spirit of our God.”
And this is real important information to every living soul. Practice really matters! How important is it? Paul writes under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that those who practice the aforementioned sins shall not “inherit the kingdom of God.” And they are “deceived” if they think they will.
The Greek word here for “inherit” simply means, “obtain for an inheritance.” One whose life is marked by the practices listed will not “obtain for an inheritance” the “kingdom of God” (note again, Galatians 5:19-21). Such a person is not born again, is not a Christian, is not a disciple of Christ, is not reconciled to God, is not a child of God.
For those who are of “the name of the Lord Jesus Christ,” of “the Spirit of our God,” there is a new walk, a new list of practices, as laid out in the Word of God. These come from a new heart that is regenerated by the Holy Spirit and that the Spirit is working in to conform to the image of Christ (Romans 8:28-29).
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do not be deceived by those who would say practice doesn’t really matter.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas