Note our text from First Corinthians,
- “Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (I Corinthians 6:9-10 – NASB)
Quite a list, is it not? Many people say that Christianity is a big list of things you shouldn’t do, and that does not set well with the rebellious, non-believing heart.
Of course if one knows what the Bible says it will find lists of things we are not to practice, such things that are not the will of God for His creation. But, counter to that, you will also find lists of things we should practice, things we should do, things that bear witness of a regenerated heart (note also, Galatians 5:16-25). Quite simply, the unregenerate person practices the things that are listed in our text while the regenerate person does not practice them anymore . . .
- “And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.” (I Corinthians 6:11 – NASB)
The apostle Paul writes that “such were some of you.” You “were” identified by these practices “but” things have changed for you who are of “the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and” of “the Spirit of our God.”
And this is real important information to every living soul. Practice really matters! How important is it? Paul writes under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that those who practice the aforementioned sins shall not “inherit the kingdom of God.” And they are “deceived” if they think they will.
The Greek word here for “inherit” simply means, “obtain for an inheritance.” One whose life is marked by the practices listed will not “obtain for an inheritance” the “kingdom of God” (note again, Galatians 5:19-21). Such a person is not born again, is not a Christian, is not a disciple of Christ, is not reconciled to God, is not a child of God.
For those who are of “the name of the Lord Jesus Christ,” of “the Spirit of our God,” there is a new walk, a new list of practices, as laid out in the Word of God. These come from a new heart that is regenerated by the Holy Spirit and that the Spirit is working in to conform to the image of Christ (Romans 8:28-29).
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do not be deceived by those who would say practice doesn’t really matter.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR