Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Once again we consider the text from First Timothy, the exaltation of one who realizes who he is and all that God has done for him in Christ,
- “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” (I Timothy 1:17 – NASB)
Yes, the apostle Paul, in writing of his depravity, when he penned his record he just had to respond by exalting the “God” who had saved him from the penalty due his sin and gloriously placed him in Christ. No longer bound for an eternity separated from “God” in hell but now, because of who Christ was and what God had done through Him, now to spend eternity in glory! That brethren, causes a person to react with the words that Paul wrote in First Timothy 1:17.
These words penned by Paul had the same effect on Walter Chalmers Smith, who in the 1800’s, having read this great text from First Timothy, penned the great hymn, “Immortal, Invisible.” Smith was a pastor in the Free Church of Scotland for forty years. A great hymn writer, this particular hymn has stood the test of time . . . . and rightly so. As one writer has so aptly stated,
- “Smith wrote many hymns, but this is the only one still in use today.” This writer goes on to say in regards to this precious hymn, “In our day of casual Christianity and almost flippant prayer, we desperately need to catch glimpses of God’s unspeakable character. In these wonderful stanzas, we who ‘wither and perish’ come face-to-face with our immortal, invisible, unchanging God. And amazingly, this great God whom even polysyllables cannot describe, loves us dearly.”
Dr. John MacArthur has said this is his favorite hymn. Says something for his spiritual depth doesn’t it? Steve Green sings this great old hymn like no other . . . .Read through the lyrics here and take a minute to watch a YouTube posting of this song by Steve Green. The praise of this song is a perfect way to start your day or center your day at any hour.
- “Immortal, invisible, God only wise, In light inaccessible hid from our eyes.
- Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days, Almighty, victorious — Thy great name we praise.
- Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light, Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
- Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above, Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.
- To all, life Thou givest — to both great and small, In all life Thou livest — the true life of all;
- We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree, And wither and perish — but naught changeth Thee.
- Great Father of glory, pure Father of light, Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight.
- All praise we would render — O help us to see, Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee! Amen.”
What majestic words for He who is “God only wise.” I have great pause when I consider the words of the text from First Timothy and from this great old hymn. I cower because when I stop to consider my own worship, my own praise, my own service, my own spiritual life, they seem so lacking, so shallow, when measured against the backdrop of what the apostle Paul and Walter Chalmers Smith have penned. I think, after over 30 years in Christ, I really haven’t come very far as of yet . . . . . .
Have a great day . . . one in which you take the time to actually dwell upon our eternal King, Immortal, Invisible, the great Father of glory, the only God, our Redeemer! Begin now by praising the mighty, victorious, immortal, invisible God. And as you do this, let me ask you . . . What is your response?
If you missed part 1 in this three part devotion series read it HERE
Read part 2 in this three part devotion series HERE
Read more Daily Bread devotionals.
Read Got Questions? We have Reasons for Hope.
Read Power of Hope.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas