Once again we consider the text from First Timothy, the exaltation of one who realizes who he is and all that God has done for him in Christ,
- “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” (I Timothy 1:17 – NASB)
Yes, the apostle Paul, in writing of his depravity, when he penned his record he just had to respond by exalting the “God” who had saved him from the penalty due his sin and gloriously placed him in Christ. No longer bound for an eternity separated from “God” in hell but now, because of who Christ was and what God had done through Him, now to spend eternity in glory! That brethren, causes a person to react with the words that Paul wrote in First Timothy 1:17.
These words penned by Paul had the same effect on Walter Chalmers Smith, who in the 1800’s, having read this great text from First Timothy, penned the great hymn, “Immortal, Invisible.” Smith was a pastor in the Free Church of Scotland for forty years. A great hymn writer, this particular hymn has stood the test of time . . . . and rightly so. As one writer has so aptly stated,
- “Smith wrote many hymns, but this is the only one still in use today.” This writer goes on to say in regards to this precious hymn, “In our day of casual Christianity and almost flippant prayer, we desperately need to catch glimpses of God’s unspeakable character. In these wonderful stanzas, we who ‘wither and perish’ come face-to-face with our immortal, invisible, unchanging God. And amazingly, this great God whom even polysyllables cannot describe, loves us dearly.”
Dr. John MacArthur has said this is his favorite hymn. Says something for his spiritual depth doesn’t it? Steve Green sings this great old hymn like no other . . . .Read through the lyrics here and take a minute to watch a YouTube posting of this song by Steve Green. The praise of this song is a perfect way to start your day or center your day at any hour.
- “Immortal, invisible, God only wise, In light inaccessible hid from our eyes.
- Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days, Almighty, victorious — Thy great name we praise.
- Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light, Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
- Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above, Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.
- To all, life Thou givest — to both great and small, In all life Thou livest — the true life of all;
- We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree, And wither and perish — but naught changeth Thee.
- Great Father of glory, pure Father of light, Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight.
- All praise we would render — O help us to see, Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee! Amen.”
What majestic words for He who is “God only wise.” I have great pause when I consider the words of the text from First Timothy and from this great old hymn. I cower because when I stop to consider my own worship, my own praise, my own service, my own spiritual life, they seem so lacking, so shallow, when measured against the backdrop of what the apostle Paul and Walter Chalmers Smith have penned. I think, after over 30 years in Christ, I really haven’t come very far as of yet . . . . . .
Have a great day . . . one in which you take the time to actually dwell upon our eternal King, Immortal, Invisible, the great Father of glory, the only God, our Redeemer! Begin now by praising the mighty, victorious, immortal, invisible God. And as you do this, let me ask you . . . What is your response?
If you missed part 1 in this three part devotion series read it HERE
Read part 2 in this three part devotion series HERE
Read more Daily Bread devotionals.
Read Power of Hope.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR