Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From Paul’s letter to the churches in Galatia we read,
- “They eagerly seek you, not commendably, but they wish to shut you out, in order that you many seek them. But it is good always to be eagerly sought in a commendable manner, and not only when I am present with you. My children with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you . . .” (Galatians 4:17-19 – NASB)
The “they” are the Judaizers. These false teachers were at their work, desiring to “shut . . . out” the believers from the doctrine of justification by faith in Christ alone and influence them with their false teaching, to instead “seek them,” the men of the law, men who believed that by keeping the law they were therefore justified before God.
Paul makes it clear that their way is “not commendable,” that it is, in laymen’s terms, the wrong way for a disciple of Christ to go. In contrast he says, “it is good always to be eagerly sought in a commendable manner.” And that “commendable manner” is in the truth, the truth that is in Jesus the Christ, the truth Paul personally had given to them when he was in their midst.
In his outreach to his fellow believers, the apostle calls them his “children.” And he tells his “children” that in contrast to the Judaizers laboring to conform them to their beliefs he “labors” toward his “children . . . until Christ is formed” in them.
Quite simply brethren, if you are a professing believer, there will always be those who labor to deceive you and turn you away from the truth of the gospel of Christ. They would want their form of teaching to be received by you and thus have you conformed to their belief system, to literally be conformed to their image.
The will of God? That you, having believed the gospel message, be conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29). And the “labor” of the church is an ongoing one that should always have the intent of “Christ” being “formed in you.”
“Christ being formed in you,” a most “commendable” goal, the right goal to have in mind. Such a goal exhorts each one of us to be at work, laboring to know the Word of God, allowing it to transform our minds (Romans 12:1-2) and bring us to Christlikeness. Then we are enabled to “labor” in helping others (discipleship) to have “Christ . . formed” in them.
As the old hymn says so should be our goal,
- “O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer, this is my constant longing and prayer;
- Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures, Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.”
The refrain of this great old hymn should be our desire, our goal,
- “O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art!
- Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness — Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart”
It is my desire that I be like Christ. It is my desire that His “image” be “stamped . . . deep on my heart.” It is my desire that in being like Him I might “labor” the “commendable . . . labor” that “Christ is formed” in others who have received Him, that “Christ is formed” in those who are my brethren in Him. How about you?
Have a good day . . . and do not be ignorant but understanding what the will of the Lord is (Ephesians 5:17) and labor to see it fulfilled. You just need to have the right goal in mind.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas