The Scriptures . . . the Holy Scriptures . . .
- “You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” (II Timothy 3:14-15 – NASB)
As I prayed this morning I became so aware of my sin against God. Yes, my sin! And I thought how vile and depraved I have been, and could be, if it were not for God and His “sacred writings.” Where would I be without “Christ Jesus?” Where would I be without God’s Word? What would I actually have become if it were not for “the things (I) have learned and become convinced of” by the work of the Holy Spirit in my life, by His instruction to me through His “sacred writings?” Such thoughts, such questions cause me great pause . . . . . and I shudder at their very implication.
Oh blessed thought! That God, through His “sacred writings” is “able to give (us) the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” Oh blessed thought!
How wonderful is this Bible that we have! How powerful are the words that are contained within it! Words that can actually lead a person to “salvation,” taking one from death to life, rescuing one from the perils that this very book warns are to come upon those who reject its message.
Oh what a book! Take note brethren, that if you have children, as our text speaks to so very clearly, teach them “from childhood . . . the sacred writings.” Commit to them the very words of life that these “writings” convey. The current great dilemma is that the halls of public and higher education are void of the Word of God and the signs are all around us of a generation that knows not God. Martin Luther warned of the dangers of such a condition,
- “I am much afraid that schools will prove to be great gates of hell unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures, engraving them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the Scriptures do no reign paramount. Every institution in which men are not increasingly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt.”
And failing to explain, failing to engrave, the “institutions” have “become corrupt!”
Oh the blessed “sacred writings” of God, given so lovingly to mankind that he might read them and heed them and come to “salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” And oh how important to teach them to our children! I am one who came to “Christ Jesus” late in life, in my early thirties, and it is often that I am so very aware of all the vile baggage I took on through those many years without Him. I struggle with that baggage even today and think often how I might have avoided it if I had “from childhood . . . known the sacred writings.”
But God be praised . . . for He saved me and put His Word in my heart! My girls never saw me and how I was but only as He had made me, “in Christ Jesus” according to His Word. The vile baggage I had acquired was not something that I passed on to them but instead, as a new creation in Christ, I strived to see that they were “learned . . . in the things” of God and His “sacred writings.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be diligent to be in and of the sacred writings, and if you have children, strive to see that they are trained up in them.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR