From John’s first epistle we read,
- “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.” (I John 5:4 – NASB)
As I read this particular verse from John’s letter I can’t help but think of the old hymn, Faith Is The Victory. Obviously, the text from first John 5:4 was the source for the wonderful words of this hymn, that at one time, was sung often.
Not recently, sadly, but in past years I recall singing these words,
- “Encamped along the hills of light, Ye Christian soldiers rise,
- And press the battle ere the night, Shall veil the glowing skies.
- Against the foe in vales below Let all our strength be hurled;
- Faith is the victory, we know, That overcomes the world.”
This stanza pictures the saints of God going into battle with “faith” in their “God . . . Christian soldiers” who “press the battle . . . against the foe,” being assured by holy writ that “we know” that “faith is the victory . . . that overcomes the” enemy, that “overcomes the world.”
Satan and his “world” hurls everything at us it can, proving to be a most formidable “foe.” But our “faith” in Christ is more than a match for him says the Scriptures!
- “His banner over us is love, Our sword the Word of God;
- We tread the road the saints above, With shouts of triumph trod.
- By faith they like a whirl-wind’s breath, Swept on o’er every field;
- The faith by which they conquered death, Is still our shining shield.”
I must say, as I write these words of this great old hymn, we just don’t sing hymns like this in our day. Here, in our second stanza, we sing of the Christian “banner” that is “over us;” it is the “love” of “God” in Christ. Every cavalry charge I ever witnessed in the western movies of old had the “banner” bearer, holding high that which identified that particular unit of soldiers. Our “banner” as we move forth as “soldiers” of Christ “is love,” a faithful “love” that our Lord Jesus Christ has for us. And our weapon of warfare, “our sword,” that which is used to vanquish the “foe” is “the Word of God.”
Taking in the holy Scriptures, “we tread the road . . . with shouts of triumph,” for “by faith” the “Word of God” tells us we have “overcome the world,” we have “conquered death.”
The Scriptures assure us,
- “And who is the one who overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God” (I John 5:5 – NASB)
Our “faith” is in the truth, and God’s “Word” is truth, and God says to us through His “Word,” that “the one who overcomes the world” is “he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
Have a good day . . . and take note of our text and of the words of the great old hymn that was penned regarding it, and know that faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is the victory that overcomes the world.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge