From John’s first epistle we read,
- “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.” (I John 5:4 – NASB)
As I read this particular verse from John’s letter I can’t help but think of the old hymn, Faith Is The Victory. Obviously, the text from first John 5:4 was the source for the wonderful words of this hymn, that at one time, was sung often.
Not recently, sadly, but in past years I recall singing these words,
- “Encamped along the hills of light, Ye Christian soldiers rise,
- And press the battle ere the night, Shall veil the glowing skies.
- Against the foe in vales below Let all our strength be hurled;
- Faith is the victory, we know, That overcomes the world.”
This stanza pictures the saints of God going into battle with “faith” in their “God . . . Christian soldiers” who “press the battle . . . against the foe,” being assured by holy writ that “we know” that “faith is the victory . . . that overcomes the” enemy, that “overcomes the world.”
Satan and his “world” hurls everything at us it can, proving to be a most formidable “foe.” But our “faith” in Christ is more than a match for him says the Scriptures!
- “His banner over us is love, Our sword the Word of God;
- We tread the road the saints above, With shouts of triumph trod.
- By faith they like a whirl-wind’s breath, Swept on o’er every field;
- The faith by which they conquered death, Is still our shining shield.”
I must say, as I write these words of this great old hymn, we just don’t sing hymns like this in our day. Here, in our second stanza, we sing of the Christian “banner” that is “over us;” it is the “love” of “God” in Christ. Every cavalry charge I ever witnessed in the western movies of old had the “banner” bearer, holding high that which identified that particular unit of soldiers. Our “banner” as we move forth as “soldiers” of Christ “is love,” a faithful “love” that our Lord Jesus Christ has for us. And our weapon of warfare, “our sword,” that which is used to vanquish the “foe” is “the Word of God.”
Taking in the holy Scriptures, “we tread the road . . . with shouts of triumph,” for “by faith” the “Word of God” tells us we have “overcome the world,” we have “conquered death.”
The Scriptures assure us,
- “And who is the one who overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God” (I John 5:5 – NASB)
Our “faith” is in the truth, and God’s “Word” is truth, and God says to us through His “Word,” that “the one who overcomes the world” is “he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
Have a good day . . . and take note of our text and of the words of the great old hymn that was penned regarding it, and know that faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is the victory that overcomes the world.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR