Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From John’s first epistle we read,
- “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.” (I John 5:4 – NASB)
As I read this particular verse from John’s letter I can’t help but think of the old hymn, Faith Is The Victory. Obviously, the text from first John 5:4 was the source for the wonderful words of this hymn, that at one time, was sung often.
Not recently, sadly, but in past years I recall singing these words,
- “Encamped along the hills of light, Ye Christian soldiers rise,
- And press the battle ere the night, Shall veil the glowing skies.
- Against the foe in vales below Let all our strength be hurled;
- Faith is the victory, we know, That overcomes the world.”
This stanza pictures the saints of God going into battle with “faith” in their “God . . . Christian soldiers” who “press the battle . . . against the foe,” being assured by holy writ that “we know” that “faith is the victory . . . that overcomes the” enemy, that “overcomes the world.”
Satan and his “world” hurls everything at us it can, proving to be a most formidable “foe.” But our “faith” in Christ is more than a match for him says the Scriptures!
- “His banner over us is love, Our sword the Word of God;
- We tread the road the saints above, With shouts of triumph trod.
- By faith they like a whirl-wind’s breath, Swept on o’er every field;
- The faith by which they conquered death, Is still our shining shield.”
I must say, as I write these words of this great old hymn, we just don’t sing hymns like this in our day. Here, in our second stanza, we sing of the Christian “banner” that is “over us;” it is the “love” of “God” in Christ. Every cavalry charge I ever witnessed in the western movies of old had the “banner” bearer, holding high that which identified that particular unit of soldiers. Our “banner” as we move forth as “soldiers” of Christ “is love,” a faithful “love” that our Lord Jesus Christ has for us. And our weapon of warfare, “our sword,” that which is used to vanquish the “foe” is “the Word of God.”
Taking in the holy Scriptures, “we tread the road . . . with shouts of triumph,” for “by faith” the “Word of God” tells us we have “overcome the world,” we have “conquered death.”
The Scriptures assure us,
- “And who is the one who overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God” (I John 5:5 – NASB)
Our “faith” is in the truth, and God’s “Word” is truth, and God says to us through His “Word,” that “the one who overcomes the world” is “he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”
Have a good day . . . and take note of our text and of the words of the great old hymn that was penned regarding it, and know that faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is the victory that overcomes the world.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas