From II Samuel, chapter 12,
- “Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon. Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.” (II Samuel 12:9-10 – NASB)
In chapter eleven of II Samuel we are told that King David looked upon the “wife” of another man. He lusted after her, desired her, thus, as defined by the “word of the LORD,” he sinned against God. And that was not the end of his transgression, for he pursued her, he lay with her, and he sought to make her his “wife.” In that endeavor he had to rid himself of the obstacle that stood between him and Bathsheba, her husband “Uriah.” So David, king of all Israel, set about ordering “Uriah” to the front lines of battle where he was killed by “the sword of the sons of Ammon.” So it was that David then took “the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be (his) wife.”
God sent the prophet Nathan to King David and through him, through Nathan, He confronted David with his sin. The King, in his effort to satisfy the lust of his eyes and the lust of his flesh had “despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight.” And by “despising” God’s “word he had also “despised” God.
It is a most proper reminder from Scripture that when we sin, when we choose to seek the satisfaction of the flesh, when we make the choice to go against God’s law, we are guilty of “despising God.” As Jerry Bridges writes,
- “We see from this [this passage of Scripture] that sin is a despising of the law of God. But we also see that to despise God’s law is to despise Him.”
Mr. Bridges goes on from here to speak to us, we who are in Christ,
- “Now, it is easy for us to think that David’s sin truly was grievous and fail to grasp the application of Nathan’s words to ourselves . . . [that] all sin, whether large or small in our eyes, is against God.”
The Scriptures are our tutor, meant to reveal our God to us and to reveal His law, His will, His purpose for us. No doubt we struggle with sin, and such we have a tendency to wander from our God, to sin against Him who is “holy, holy, holy” (Isaiah 6; Revelation 4).
Oh that we should recall to our minds that all our sin is “an assault on the majesty and sovereign rule of God” (Bridges). Oh that we should recall to our minds that all our sin, again, whether it be “large or small in our eyes,” exposes us as “despising the word,” and such, “despising” God Himself.
Have a good day with an intent to be holy as our Father in heaven has called us to be holy, knowing Him and knowing His Word and walking in a manner bent on not despising His commandments and thus, not despising Him.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas