From Paul’s letter to the Corinthian believers we read,
- “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall” (I Corinthians 10:12 – NASB)
Paul has just written in the verses prior to our text that we, believers, should take note of Israel and the mistakes she made as recorded in the Old Testament. He tells us,
- “Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction . . .” (I Corinthians 10:11 – NASB)
We learn from Israel, for she serves as “an example” to us of mistakes made in regards to a living relationship with God. We know that in her walk with God she stumbled and sinned often, and so these “were written for our instruction,” that we might not do the same things which caused her to lose favor with Him.
A danger looms here, as we read of Israel and how she fell away, and that danger is having the sin of pride creep into our own individual lives. We read of Israel’s struggles and we can tend to think, “Oh, I would never do that,” or, “I’ll never make that mistake, I’ll never act immorally or crave evil things or try the Lord or grumble (10:5-10); No way! Certainly not me! I’m aware of these things and I am better than that!” And pride seeps into our pours and into our thinking process and before you know it we find ourselves thinking more highly of ourselves then we ought, as if somehow we are above those sins that Israel committed. Beware the pitfall of pride.
The “therefore” of our text serves to have us consider, to ponder, what has just been said, and then to take note . . .
- “. . . . let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall”
For sure, “written for our instruction,” but also the warning: “take heed lest (you) fall” into “these things” also.
Let us be of the mind brethren that is well noted in the old saying, “Except for the grace of God there go I.” Let us be of the mind that within this instruction by the Holy Spirit we are made aware of sins that are not pleasing to God (10:5) and as we make note of them we also “take heed” not to think that we are somehow above all “these things.” Beware the pitfall of pride. For when pride manifests itself in our lives a “fall” is inevitable.
- “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18 – NKJV)
Beware the pitfall of pride!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk it is a most profitable thing to be on constant guard against the sin of pride.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas