From the Psalms we read,
- “I will meditate on Thy precepts, and regard Thy ways” (Psalm 119:15 – NASB)
Yesterday I just happened to turn on the Today Show on NBC. Seems Tamron Hall, one of the show’s hosts, is into TM, or Transcendental Meditation. She is taking lessons in it. She spoke with one of the people that promotes TM and together they espoused the wonderful virtues of this form of meditation. In the conversation Ms. Hall’s elaborated on her concerns regarding how an abundance of people in today’s society are stressed out, uptight, on edge, and basically unable to find a means by which to deal with today’s hectic lifestyles and the problems that stem from such. She believed meditation was the key in addressing these issues. She believed TM should be promoted as the means by which one should go about their personal form of meditating and thus achieve relief from that which ails them. The TM guru said to her, “We know more and more that if we are going to find answers to those things we deal with in this life we are going to have to find them within ourselves” (not a word-for-word quote, but close).
TM “is a technique of meditating in which the subject chants silently a teacher-assigned ‘mantra’ (a secret word from Sanskrit, the classical language of Indian) until an altered state of awareness called ‘cosmic or bliss consciousness’ is realized.” It is meant to be a “source of thought,” a short time of quiet and turning one’s thoughts inward to find relief and subsequently release one’s full potential. (Source: Transcendental Meditation: Is It Only Mediation, by Harold J. Berry)
Words to take particular note of here, words that Christians should discern as bothersome, are “chants, mantra, secret word, altered state of awareness, cosmic or bliss consciousness, thoughts inward,” and “release one’s full potential.”
Brethren, meditation is not a bad thing, but TM, as a practice for meditation . . . it is a bad thing.
We know from Scripture that we do not find the answers to life’s problems, to our own emotional challenges, “within ourselves.” No, we find the answers on the outside from a source we call, God’s Word, or as the psalmist writes, “Thy precepts.”
Devotion time, or what is often called, “Quiet Time,” is the disciple of Christ taking some time to get alone and take in the “precepts” of God, take in His Word, and to “meditate” (lit., “a process of holy thought”) and ponder its truths for personal application. It is a time to pray, to talk to God and to have Him talk to us through His written Word.
Want to have success, act wisely, be calmed in the storm,
- “. . . be careful to do according to all the law . . . so that you may have success wherever you go. This book of the law (lit., “instruction, doctrine”) shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you many be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success (lit., “act wisely”) . . . Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7-9 – NASB)
Is TM compatible with Christianity? Quite simply, “NO!” We who are in Christ do not find our answers to life and its issues within ourselves but from without, from the counsel of God’s Word, taken in and pondered and applied.
Have a good day brethren . . . and beware of this world and its trappings, its practices that find favor with the masses. Instead meditate on God’s precepts and act according to His ways.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge