From the Psalms we read,
- “I will meditate on Thy precepts, and regard Thy ways” (Psalm 119:15 – NASB)
Yesterday I just happened to turn on the Today Show on NBC. Seems Tamron Hall, one of the show’s hosts, is into TM, or Transcendental Meditation. She is taking lessons in it. She spoke with one of the people that promotes TM and together they espoused the wonderful virtues of this form of meditation. In the conversation Ms. Hall’s elaborated on her concerns regarding how an abundance of people in today’s society are stressed out, uptight, on edge, and basically unable to find a means by which to deal with today’s hectic lifestyles and the problems that stem from such. She believed meditation was the key in addressing these issues. She believed TM should be promoted as the means by which one should go about their personal form of meditating and thus achieve relief from that which ails them. The TM guru said to her, “We know more and more that if we are going to find answers to those things we deal with in this life we are going to have to find them within ourselves” (not a word-for-word quote, but close).
TM “is a technique of meditating in which the subject chants silently a teacher-assigned ‘mantra’ (a secret word from Sanskrit, the classical language of Indian) until an altered state of awareness called ‘cosmic or bliss consciousness’ is realized.” It is meant to be a “source of thought,” a short time of quiet and turning one’s thoughts inward to find relief and subsequently release one’s full potential. (Source: Transcendental Meditation: Is It Only Mediation, by Harold J. Berry)
Words to take particular note of here, words that Christians should discern as bothersome, are “chants, mantra, secret word, altered state of awareness, cosmic or bliss consciousness, thoughts inward,” and “release one’s full potential.”
Brethren, meditation is not a bad thing, but TM, as a practice for meditation . . . it is a bad thing.
We know from Scripture that we do not find the answers to life’s problems, to our own emotional challenges, “within ourselves.” No, we find the answers on the outside from a source we call, God’s Word, or as the psalmist writes, “Thy precepts.”
Devotion time, or what is often called, “Quiet Time,” is the disciple of Christ taking some time to get alone and take in the “precepts” of God, take in His Word, and to “meditate” (lit., “a process of holy thought”) and ponder its truths for personal application. It is a time to pray, to talk to God and to have Him talk to us through His written Word.
Want to have success, act wisely, be calmed in the storm,
- “. . . be careful to do according to all the law . . . so that you may have success wherever you go. This book of the law (lit., “instruction, doctrine”) shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you many be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success (lit., “act wisely”) . . . Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7-9 – NASB)
Is TM compatible with Christianity? Quite simply, “NO!” We who are in Christ do not find our answers to life and its issues within ourselves but from without, from the counsel of God’s Word, taken in and pondered and applied.
Have a good day brethren . . . and beware of this world and its trappings, its practices that find favor with the masses. Instead meditate on God’s precepts and act according to His ways.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR