There is clearly proclaimed a curse upon the bloodline of Jeconiah in Jeremiah 22:30 God declared that none of Jeconiah’s descendants would ever reign over Israel.
Jeremiah 22:30 Thus saith the LORD, Write ye this man [Jeconiah] childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah.
Jeconiah was a wicked king and yet he is found in the genealogy of Jesus:
Mat 1:11 Josiah begot Jeconiah and his brothers about the time they were carried away to Babylon.
This raises the question: Because the Lord declared that none of Jeconiah’s descendants would sit on the throne of David or rule in Judah, how could Jesus rightfully be the Messiah/Kingof Israel?
Genealogy in Matthew
The answer to this question begins by understanding that the genealogy in Matthew, in which Jeconiah is listed, is the genealogy from Abraham to Joseph. Because Joseph was only the legal father of Jesus, and not his biological father, Jesus was not of the seed of Jeconiah. Therefore, the blood curse, which would have disqualified Him as King of Judah, was not passed on to Jesus. The genealogy in Matthew presents Jesus’ legal right as heir to the throne of David.
Genealogy in Luke
Luke records a different genealogy, beginning with Joseph and going all the way back to Adam. This genealogy presents Jesus, in His humanity, as the Son of Man (Adam).
This raises the question, how can there be two genealogies for Joseph? The answer has to do with inheritance laws in ancient Israel. Tangible (property and goods) and intangible (family name and position) were passed to sons, not daughters. However, in Numbers, an exception was made for fathers who had no son. God granted that a father could “adopt” his daughter’s husband (with certain stipulations) to receive bequeathed assets. Heli, who is listed as the father of Joseph was actually the father of Mary. Heli would have adopted Joseph for inheritance purposes. Therefore, the genealogy in Luke is actually Mary’s genealogy (For more information, read: Why are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus? and What do Zelophehad’s Daughters have to do with Christmas?).
No Blood Curse in Mary’s Genealogy
Mary was Jesus’ only human parent. It was through her ancestors that Jesus had a birthright in the bloodline of the Tribe of Judah, the line from which all kings of Judah came.
The genealogy of Jesus through Mary is not through Solomon, but through Nathan (the second surviving son of King David). Jeconiah was not a descendant of Nathan. Therefore, he was not an ancestor of Mary’s and there is no blood curse on Mary’s Son, Jesus.
The Necessity of a Virgin Birth
The blood curse on Jeconiah requires a virgin birth. For if Joseph had been Jesus’ biological father (that’s a hypothetical “if”), He could not have fulfilled the prophecy of being Messiah. The virgin birth was both prophesied and fulfilled.
Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
As early as the second century, the church affirmed this very simply and clearly in The Apostle’s Creed:
“I believe … in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary….”
The Nicene Creed (325, 391 AD) further defined the implications of the virgin birth with greater clarity:
“We believe … in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father….”
Joseph was Jesus’ earthly, adopted father. God is Jesus’ heavenly Father. Jesus was begotten of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit. Mary was Jesus’ human mother, a young virgin who gave birth to the Son of God. The blood curse upon Joseph’s line was not passed on to Jesus. Mary’s bloodline was pure in that it was without the blemish of a curse. Jesus by all accounts is the King of kings and Lord of lords. Hallelujah!
Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
What is the Prophetic Meaning of the Ensigns of the Camps of Israel?
Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
Misconceptions about the Birth of Jesus
What is the Blood Curse of Jeconiah?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED