Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the gospel of John we read,
- “but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:31 – NASB)
Sometimes things we read in the Bible are difficult to understand. We have to, on many occasions, apply ourselves to the task of trying to make sense out of what God is saying to us. But then, sometimes, He makes things very clear. There is left no doubt as to what the meaning of a text or context is, or for that matter, an entire book. This is the case for the gospel of John . . . . we know the why of why it was written.
The apostle John states quite clearly that the words he has “written,” in this gospel that bears his name were “written that you” and I might “believe that” the “Jesus” he has spoken of “is the Christ,” that He is the “Anointed One” (what “Christ” means in the Greek), the promised Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament.
This “Jesus” John writes of is not only “the Christ” but He is “the Son of God.” John specifically states that he has “written” his gospel that those who read it “may believe” this: “Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God!”
And why does John want his readers to “believe” this? Very pointedly, “that believing you may have life in His name.” As John has stated previous to our text,
- “And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent” (John 17:3 – NASB)
There is “life” in this “Jesus” who is “the Christ,” who is “the Son of God.” Instead of eternal condemnation, eternal separation from God, there is “eternal life” for all those who “believe” in Him! That is the very clear why of why the gospel of John was written!
This gospel of John declares emphatically, from beginning to end, that “Jesus” is the only way to be saved from the wrath to come. It leaves no doubt to its meaning, being a very clear proclamation from one end to another that “Jesus” is the great “I AM,” very man yet very God, the Creator, and that He is the only One that could have possibly carried out the work that had to be done to reconcile a lost sinner to God.
Do you know of someone that you want to introduce to Jesus? Recommend strongly to them that they read the gospel of John. If they do, when they are finished, ask them, “WHY do you think John wrote this book? WHO do you think this Jesus is? WHAT does all of it mean for you specifically?”
As one agnostic stated, after reading John’s gospel and being confronted with the question, “So who do you say this Jesus is?” The agnostic responded, “He is God!” And that is the why of why it was written.
Have a good day . . . . and as you walk encourage anyone you can to read the gospel of John . . . that they might be made to know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that He is the only One who can save them from the wages of their sin.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas