What is apologetics? Let’s start with what it is not.
Many are not familiar with the word “apologetics” and some even wonder if it has something to do with apologizing. Apologetics does NOT mean apologizing. It’s really quite the opposite. Apologetics is a branch of theology that offers a defense of Christian doctrine. It’s giving answers and reasons for what we believe. Two things are essential for effective apologetics:
- Knowledge of facts and an ability to present the facts.
- An ability to give a defense when challenged.
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a Christian apologetics ministry. It is our mission to equip Christians to fulfill the command given by the apostle Peter in 1 Peter 3:15.
Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.
In this verse are two important words that define apologetics: answer and reason. Let’s now understand what Peter commanded and why he used these two words. Then we’ll address why we should care about apologetics.
The word answer in English Bibles is a translation of the Greek word apologia, from which we get the word apologetics. Strong’s Dictionary defines apologia as:
apologia, ap-ol-og-ee’-ah; from the same as G626; a plea (“apology”):–answer (for self), clearing of self, defense.
Note that, in addition to apologia being defined as answer, it is also defined as defense. So, from the word apologia, we learn that we are instructed to defend the Word of God. Simply put, we are to stand firm on the truths of the Bible and be ready to declare and defend God’s Word with facts.
The second noteworthy word in 1 Peter 3:15 is reason. We are told to give a reason for the hope we have in us.
Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer [apologia] to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Reason is the English translation of the Greek word logos, which is also translated as “word.” Strong’s Dictionary defines logos as:
logos, log’-os; from G3004; something said (including the thought); by impl. a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive. . . account, cause, communication. . . doctrine, fame. . .intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew. . .speech, talk. . .tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.
This definition tells us that reasoning (logos) is thoughtful study and mental evaluation of subject matter and discourses. This denotes sharing information (defined by Strong’s as tidings) by communication through speaking (defined: speech, talk, utterance, word), writing (defined: treatise) and/or showing (defined: shew, work).
One more word of greatest significance in 1 Peter 3:15 is the word hope. We are to give answers and reasons for the hope that we have. No one defines this “hope” better than Paul, when he says, “…Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
Jesus is our hope. He is the hope that is in us. He is present in and with us by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. As we speak, write and show our hope, the Holy Spirit is faithful to lead, teach, guide and grow us (John 15:26, John 16:13).
Why should we care about apologetics?
First and foremost, because we have been commissioned and commanded to be ready to have an answer. This command is for our good and for God’s glory. We should care about apologetics because it is God’s desire that we represent Him well. We are His ambassadors to speak His words and share our hope in Him.
We should care about apologetics because it strengthens our faith. As we grow in knowledge of God’s Word, we come to know Him better and love Him more, which further strengthens our foundation of faith.
At Reasons for Hope* Jesus, we approach the Word of God and spiritual growth with a three-fold method: Knowing, living and sharing what you believe!
Know what you believe!
Reading and studying God’s Word to know who God is and who we are in Christ.
Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples. (John 15:8)
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)
Live what you believe!
Applying knowledge and reasoning from God’s Word to live in honor to God and to be an effective witness for Him.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. (Acts 13:47, Paul and Barnabas)
Share what you believe!
Be ready and willing, in speaking and writing, to be an ambassador of the gospel.
And [Jesus] said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15,
Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us… (2 Corinthians 5:20, Paul)
And he [Jesus] commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he [Jesus] which was ordained of God to be the Judge of the quick and the dead. (Acts 10:42, Peter)
This brings us back to where we started. What is apologetics? Peter answered that question with his exhortation to all who know and love Jesus:
Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. (1 Peter 3:15)
Know, Live, and Share Your Faith
At Reasons for Hope*Jesus it is our mission to offer online resources, articles, and videos, that will help in renewing your mind, establishing your heart, and anchoring your soul in Jesus! There are many reasons and answers for our faith, but there is only ONE HOPE! Get prepared, be ready and willing, and go forth in His name to share your faith with kindness and gentleness (1 Peter 3:15), being diligent and “fervent in spirit, serving the Lord”(Romans 12:11).
This HOPE we have as an anchor of the soul,
both sure and steadfast…(Hebrews 6:19)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas