There is one unforgivable sin. It’s not adultery, murder or any other heinous act. According to Jesus’ words in the Synoptic Gospels, it is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
Mat 12:31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.”
Mark 3:29 “but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”;
Luke 12:10 “And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.”
How should we understand this unforgivable sin? Let’s start by understanding the work of the Spirit and the Son.
The Holy Spirit
The work of the Holy Spirit of God is to convict and convince. The third person of the Trinity is God at work to draw all men to Himself. He convicts of sin and convinces of the truth (John 16:8, 13) When we come to God for salvation, the Holy Spirit seals us as belonging to God and is the assurance of the promise of our heavenly destination. (Ephesians 1:13)
The Son and the Cross
We sometimes hear people say that there are many ways to heaven, that is NOT true. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6) Jesus made other “I am” statements also. He said, “I am the Bread of Life (John 6:35), the Water of Life (John 4:14), the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25), the Way to the Father (John 14:6), the Giver of Salvation (Acts 4:12), and the way to eternal life (John 10:28). He speaks the truth (John 8:26) and we are called to worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24), knowing that all who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled (Matthew 5:6).
Salvation and Freewill
The opportunity for salvation is here and now on this earth. [not us, lost people] When unsaved people die, they forfeit that opportunity. God in His mercy forgives ANY and ALL sins but the rejection of the Holy Spirit and the salvation that He convicts and convinces of is the ONE and ONLY unforgivable sin. (I Thessalonians 4:8) When one leaves this world without the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ, they are condemned to a place where there is no light, no love, no God. Man, not God, sends himself there by his free-will choice.
God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already; because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:16-18)
Sin enslaves, Jesus sets us free (John 8:34-38) Jesus promises that all who come to Him will not be cast out (John 6:37). Come to Jesus. Do NOT commit the unforgivable sin of rejecting Jesus.
Read a More In-depth Article to Better Understand This Subject the Unpardonable Sin
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM’S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men’s THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?