Last year (June 2017) I wrote about my friend Tad who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (Read about how he shared the gospel with a hospital technician in Philadelphia during a full body scan: Cancer Hope: I Am Not Afraid).
Tad has had quite a journey since his initial diagnosis, including:
Two surgeries that were unsuccessful in removing the tumors and stopping the spread.
Chemotherapy that worked for a while, but not long enough.
Feeding tubes to combat weight loss.
Weakness and fatigue.
Sleepless nights, difficult days, and more.
Tad has experienced all the challenges and sufferings of fighting this horrible disease. And in all of it, he is persevering in the strength of the Lord. In fact, he is finding great joy in the journey.
Facing Terminal Cancer:
1. With Friends
2. By Faith
3. Looking Forward to the Future
Recently Tad shared his experience of thriving while battling cancer with a group gathered at our church. Watch as Tad introduces himself, tells of his diagnosis, and shares how he has found hope and joy in his battle with cancer.
Watch more (shorter) video clips below.
Finding Joy in Metastatic Cancer: Friends, Faith, and Future
Tad shares three things that have helped him in overcoming the evils of this ravaging disease: Friends, Faith, and Future. Watch as he shares the hope and joy that is available for all who belong to Jesus and the gift of salvation for those who do not yet know Jesus.
The Bible is clear that fellowship with other believers is important. We are to be a support and a comfort to one another in times of trouble.
2 Cor 1:3-5 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.
Just as Christ suffered physically, we also suffer physically. Watch as Tad speaks about friendships that are a source of comfort and are also an opportunity to share his faith.
Faith is the conduit through which we receive God’s grace. It is through faith that we are saved by the grace of God. It’s not anything we can do.
Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
When we exercise our faith and trust in God, we receive His grace for coping, persevering, and finding joy despite our circumstances. God is faithful to strengthen us to do His good works. That is the “good works” the apostle Paul spoke of when he wrote:
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Even in our afflictions, we are able to do the good works of honoring and serving God. Watch as Tad speaks about:
- The importance of his faith in battling pancreatic and liver cancer.
- God calling him to be an example with cancer, not a victim of cancer.
- His faith in God’s promise of eternal life.
3. Future Focus
As Christians, we look forward to the future. We live in hope because Jesus is our Hope (Heb 6:19) and He has promised that we will be with Him in eternity. That’s the future that we look to for our comfort and joy in whatever trials and tribulations we experience in this life.
Rom 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Meet Tad’s oncologist and hear him speak about how Tad is coping with cancer. Watch as Tad speaks of looking forward to a total healing and a future unparalleled joy that is yet to come.
1 Pet 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
Thriving Instead of Striving
In Psalm 46, God told Israel to “be still and know that I am God” (vs 10). That verse means more than just to be quiet or to sit still. God is telling them to stop striving. God is telling them to stop trying to do things in their own power and of their own will. He is the One who will fight for them and preserve them.
The word “still” in Psalm 46:10 is the Hebrew word “raphah.” It means to be slack or weak. This should cause us to remember Jesus’ promise to us. He has said that when we are weak, He is our strength (2 Cor 12:9-10).
It’s also interesting to note that another form of this word is “rapha” which means to cure, heal, and make whole. Rapha is used of God in the compound name Jehovah Rapha, meaning the God Who Heals (Exodus 15:26).
My friend Tad is not striving in his battle with cancer. He is thriving because the Lord is his strength. Tad is weak, but Jesus is faithful to His promise to be Tad’s strength. Since Tad’s initial diagnosis, Jesus has given him strength beyond measure to fight the disease and to be a witness of the hope that is only found in the Lord Jesus Christ.
A Closing Word from Tad
A Prayer for Tad
Tad shared the gospel with a hospital technician in Philadelphia during a full body scan and she came to faith in Christ. Read: Cancer Hope: I Am Not Afraid
Epilogue — Don’t Miss This
Read the final “chapter” of Tad’s story: When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend.
Tad lost his battle with cancer on December 10th, 2018. But he won the victory and the grand prize of entering into the presence of his Lord and Saviour.
Watch Tad on the Piano
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED