The other day while shopping at the local Wal-Mart I watched as people scurried to fill their hands and arms with packages of toilet paper. Shopping carts were filled with multiple packages of what appears to have become an essential item, exhibiting a mind set of the more you have the better off you are. And despite the call by our local and federal leaders to not horde items, that there are no potential shortages of needful items (especially toilet paper), people are not heeding such counsel but reacting with minds that are not able to act rationally. Fear and anxiety have gripped our nation and the evidence of this is seen all around us and people are not acting with a sound mind.
(BTW…the toilet paper madness is because people have believed a false narrative, that we get all our paper from China. Not true.)
I witnessed one man placing packages under his arms while fisting another package or two of toilet paper. His eyes showed, what I believe, was evidence of fear and anxiety. That’s right; fear and anxiety. Anxiety because he obviously had to get what he was after and was most concerned as to whether it was even available. Fear because, I would guess, he could have maybe expected some possible challenge to him being able to achieve his goal to get as much toilet paper as he could carry. If the current situation in our nation wasn’t such a serious one this man and what he was seeking to do would almost cause one laugh. Or, it would even be thought extremely odd.
One lady came around the corner of one aisle and looked at me and my wife and in a most serious tone said, “This is crazy.”
Fear, Anxiety, Craziness and COVID-19
This virus is causing a lot of emotional turmoil in our nation and around the world. The alarming spread, and the small window of time in which it has affected so many, is very real to each of us And it is very unsettling. Even though they are learning more about it each day, not enough is known and it is creating a frantic need!
I noted the craziness of this pandemic above, so let’s focus on fear and anxiety. These are obvious human emotions that are playing out and doing so to a people who lack the divine counsel that the Word of God provides in times such as we are experiencing.
Let’s consider the similarities they possess and first look at the words themselves:
- “Fear” – “a feeling of disquiet or apprehension . . . frightened.”
- “Anxiety” – “a state of uneasiness and apprehension . . . uncertainty.”
The similarities? Just consider the aforementioned definitions: “feeling/state” . . . “disquiet/uneasiness” . . . “apprehension.” And such emotions, such state of mind cause one to be “uncertain” and this leads to being “frightened.” Without a doubt, uncertainty can lead a person to a state of being frightened.
That said, God’s Word should come to mind. It is a counsel that only those who know Jesus are able to reference and apply in times that try one’s emotions and actions.
Words of Comfort
You probably know them, but let me share His words of comfort in such times as we are experiencing (take not of the underlined and bracketed emphasis).
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything (key word here; take note) by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; [the One who we inquire of] and the peace of God, [a key gift of grace] which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts [keep us stable, in control no matter the circumstances around us] and minds [leading to sound thinking] through Christ Jesus.” [Being in Him and abiding in His Word is a blessing beyond measure].
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind.” No matter the surrounding circumstances, our “God” gives counsel to every believer. It is not a “spirit of fear” but rather “a sound mind.” As Christians, we should react to worldly challenges with a mind that is sound instead of one that is controlled by fear and anxiety, by uneasiness and apprehension, by uncertainty leading to being frightened.
The world doesn’t abide in the counsel of their Creator and so the rush to react in perilous times in an unprincipled and chaotic manner should not surprise us. Our responsibility is to respond to our heavenly Father’s Word. We should present an obvious difference in how we deal with the current pandemic that our nation is experiencing.
Certainly it is difficult to deal with change, especially when it is threatens our well-being. But as Christian we should not panic. We are not to react to COVIDE-19 as the world reacts. Rather we are to display to the world the very person of Jesus, manifesting actions guided by the counsel of His Word, actions not driven by fear and anxiety but actions steered by sound minds that do not allow such emotions to overtake us.
Just maybe we’ll be noticed. And just maybe someone will ask, “What makes you so different?” And we, who are of a sound mind, will start by responding, “I have Jesus. Let me tell you about Him and the peace He gives.”
Read More Encouragement During COVID-19
This Thanksgiving — 2020 Covid Struggles
How to Celebrate a COVID-Year Thanksgiving with Social Distancing?
To Mask or Not to Mask? That’s the Big Question
Has Coronavirus Affected Our Faith? Sad COVID-19 Statistics
Where is There Joy in COVID-19? A Lesson from Ten Years Ago
33 Biblical Encouragements in COVID-19
Is it True? “God Won’t Give You More Than You Can Handle”
AMAZING! Choir Together yet Social Distancing on Easter 2020 during COVID 19
COVID-19 — When There’s No Solution In Sight
COVID-19 and “This is the Finger of God!” by J.C. Ryle
Why Has God Allowed COVID-19 to Afflict Us?
What Should Christians Think About COVID-19?
COVID-19 — When There’s No Solution In Sight
Fear, Anxiety, Craziness...and COVID-19
COVID-19 and "This is the Finger of God!" by J.C. Ryle
Pause to Pray for God’s Deliverance from COVID-19
Statement on CoronaVirus (COVID-19) by Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Words of Encouragement
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas