You have probably heard many Christians say, “God will not give you more than you can handle.” While this is meant to encourage someone that they can handle whatever they are facing, we must ask, is it true? At times, it certainIy feels like God has given too much to handle. All Christians, at some time or another, feel overwhelmed with life’s challenges and completely incapable of handline things.
I suggest that the Bible does not teach that God will not give you more than you can handle. Before explaining this, let’s remember who God is and why it’s important to know Him well before any problems or challenges arise.
- Holy (Ps 22:3, Isa 6:3, Rev 4:8)
- Faithful (Heb 10:23)
- Omnipotent (2 Pet 1:3)
- Eternal (Rev 1:8)
- Changeless (Mal 3:6, Ps 33:11)
- Omniscient (Ps 145:7)
- Sovereign (Gen 18:25)
- Omnipresent (Ps 139:7-10)
- Love (1 John 4:8, 16) and Loving (Ro 5:8)
- Our Father (1 Cor 8:6)
And remember, God is a good, good Father (Watch Good Good Father by Chris Tomlin). So anything that God brings about in our lives, or anything He allows in our lives, has already been judged by Him to be for our good and for His glory. That’s often difficult to perceive in the midst of the most difficult of circumstances, but the Bible teaches it (Romans 8:28).
That in mind, we must believe because God has told us: In whatever we face, He will give us whatever we need to handle the circumstances and to cope with the emotions.
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
While this verse is talking about temptation, the same is true of any trial, test, circumstance, or emotion that arises and overwhelms us. If God causes or allows something into our lives that we are not able to humanly handle, He will provide divine guidance, spiritual support, and supernatural strength to help us stand strong and overcome.
Assurance from God
Before returning to Heaven, Jesus promised to His diciples that He would never leave them (Matt 28:20). This is a promise of His presence with all who belong to Him and it is confirmed by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit and by Paul when he quoted Jesus as having said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Heb 13:5). Therefore, we can be confident that whatever the circumstances we are dealing with, God will provide:
- comfort and peace for the soul,
- guidance through His word for understanding and direction, and
- strength to stand and move forward.
We can be confident in the promises of His presence and how He will provide and bring us through the battles and challenges of life. Therefore we can say, along with Paul, “The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.” In doing so, we place our trust in God and glorify His name.
Answering the Question
We can then answer the question, “Does God Give Us More Than We Can Handle?” with confidence saying, “When life’s trials and challenges overwhelm me and I am unable to cope, God will graciously give me all that I need to stand strong and overcome.” It’s not really about where the tirals and challenges come from. It’s about the One who promises to be with us in them so we can stand strong.
John 16:33 “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
1 John 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world; our faith.
Romans 5:2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
April 2020: COVID-19 is a world-wide affliction. It is something that has caused many to wonder why God would allow such a thing and where is He in the midst of it? We know where God is. He’s in Heaven, sitting on the throne and sovereign over all things….including COVID-19. Read: Why Has God Allowed COVID-19 to Afflict Us?
Read More Encouragement During COVID-19
This Thanksgiving — 2020 Covid Struggles
How to Celebrate a COVID-Year Thanksgiving with Social Distancing?
To Mask or Not to Mask? That’s the Big Question
Has Coronavirus Affected Our Faith? Sad COVID-19 Statistics
Where is There Joy in COVID-19? A Lesson from Ten Years Ago
33 Biblical Encouragements in COVID-19
Is it True? “God Won’t Give You More Than You Can Handle”
AMAZING! Choir Together yet Social Distancing on Easter 2020 during COVID 19
COVID-19 — When There’s No Solution In Sight
COVID-19 and “This is the Finger of God!” by J.C. Ryle
Why Has God Allowed COVID-19 to Afflict Us?
What Should Christians Think About COVID-19?
COVID-19 — When There’s No Solution In Sight
Fear, Anxiety, Craziness...and COVID-19
COVID-19 and "This is the Finger of God!" by J.C. Ryle
Pause to Pray for God’s Deliverance from COVID-19
Statement on CoronaVirus (COVID-19) by Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Words of Encouragement
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED