The apostle Paul wrote to a body of believers in Colossae that were being subjected to teaching that undermined the person of Jesus, who was called the Christ. A concentrated effort was being put forth to put into the minds of believers that what they had been taught about Jesus was not quite true.
In our current day, in what is called the Age of Tolerance, you and I are being subjected to the same exact type of teaching regarding Jesus. The Holy Spirit, through His written Word, addresses this matter of who Jesus is. And, believers need to boldly confront opposing views of Jesus with these truths firmly implanted in our hearts and minds from…
He is the image of the invisible God (cf. John 1:18; 12:45; 14:9)
. . . the firstborn over all creation (Does not mean Jesus was a created being. This word here for “firstborn” describes Jesus’ rank not His origin. The “firstborn” speaks of His right to “all creation” and the right to rule over it.)
. . . by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers (cf. John 1:1-3)
All things were created through Him and for Him
. . . He is before all things . . . (For He has existed “before all things”)
. . . in Him all things consist (The word “consist” here speaks of His divine power in that it literally means that by Him “all things” hold together. Without Him, everything would come apart! Such power no superhero could ever match.)
. . . He is the Head of the body, the church . . .
. . . the firstborn from the dead (The resurrected Savior, “the firstborn” as it is of many to come.)
. . . in all things He may have the preeminence (Jesus, the Lord of lords and King of kings, is to have first place in everything.)
Power in Truth
This is how Paul confronted the false teaching about Jesus that was being spread among the believers in Colossae. And these truths have been passed down to us to hold to and proclaim in the day in which we live.
Cults, and ism’s abound, brandishing their false teachings about Jesus. Worldly thinkers with their secular views of Jesus are constantly using their vast resources of media to propagate their false teachings about Him. It might seem a bit overwhelming at times to we who are the called of God. But let us recall what is a most appropriate Scripture . . .
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. (II Corinthians 10:3-5)
Come as you may, you purveyors of corrupt teaching regarding our Jesus . . . and we will cast down your heretical arguments that seek to undermine our Lord and who He is! We will confront you with truth — the truth of the Scriptures — and your strongholds will be pulled down.
Walk your walk out in truth . . . upholding the facts that are conveyed to us in Scripture regarding who Jesus really is!
Receive articles like this in your inbox.
E-Books Now Available at Amazon:
Visit Our Store for Print Books and more Apologetics Resouces
The Top Ten from 2017
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge