Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
In Acts 13 the apostle Paul stands up in the synagogue at Pisidian Antioch and delivers a message to the Jews regarding Jesus the Christ. In the context of his historical teaching regarding Israel, Paul makes a most interesting statement regard King David,
- “And after He had removed him (Saul) , He raised up David to be their king, concerning whom He also testified and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My heart, who will do all My will.'” (Acts 13:22 – NASB)
God, having “removed” Saul from his position as king, “raised up David to be” Israel’s “king.” And God “testified” of “David” that He had “found” this “son of Jesse” to be “a man after” His own “heart,” a young man, a king, that would “do all” His “will.”
Take a moment to think about this passage brethren. How would you like it if God was to put your name before men in such a manner? But before you answer that question, first ask yourself, “Do you have such a ‘heart?'”
“David . . . a man after” God’s “heart.” It begs the question, “What is a man after God’s own heart?” Dr. John MacArthur has written regarding this matter,
- “One who desires to think as He thinks, feel as He feels, and respond as He responds. He is a man with a heart that beats like Christ’s, a heart that loves righteousness and hates sin, a heart that loves the sinner but rejects his deeds, a heart that reaches out in mercy to those that are hurting, a heart that cares, a heart that knows righteousness and obedience, and a heart that is consumed with extending the Father’s glory.”
Note the words of “a man after” God’s “heart,”
- “O GOD, Thou art my God; I shall seek Thee earnestly (lit., “early”); My soul thirsts for Thee, my flesh yearns for Thee, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Thus I have beheld Thee in the sanctuary, to see Thy power and Thy glory. Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips will praise Thee. So I will bless Thee as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Thy name. My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips. When I remember Thee on my bed, I meditate on Thee in the night watches, for Thou hast been my help, and in the shadow of Thy wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to Thee; Thy right hand upholds me.” (Psalm 63:1-8 – NASB)
The words of “a man” that God testifies to us is “after” His “heart.” Again, the question, “Do you have such a ‘heart?'”
As I sit here and read that which I have written, read the biblical texts, I pray, “O Father, may You find such a heart in me!”
Have a good day brethren . . . and may we strive to have the heart that David had, a heart that loves the Lord our God with all our might, and with all our strength, and with all our mind; a heart that our Father can find great pleasure in.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas