A most serious matter . . . note this warning from Scripture,
- “Every word of God is pure . . . Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar” (Proverbs 30:5-6 – NKJV)
There is a most serious matter at hand for the church of Jesus Christ in this day in which you and I live. It is a matter of great concern to this writer and should be of great concern to every disciple of Christ. I write of it to admonish each one of us to be on guard and to not allow ourselves to be caught up in the wave of extra-biblical revelation that is sweeping the world and even gaining acceptance in the ranks of current-day Christianity. That’s the matter . . . “extra-biblical revelation.” This extra-biblical revelation includes “adding” and “taking away” from God’s Word. Sometimes it is small in its nature and at other times it is very large and boisterous. Whatever the case, it challenges biblical truth. Extra-biblical revelation is a most serious matter!
Cults and ism’s tend to “add to His words.” Liberal theologians and church-growth advocates and many others in the church today, along with those seeking to have a personal impact on the church, “take from it.” The Mormons “add,” the Jehovah Witnesses “add,” the Hindu or the Muslim “adds.” The charismatic preacher says, “Thus says the Lord,” and out of their mouth comes words not supported by Scripture . . . and brethren, that is dangerous ground to tread on! One well-known female author says that God spoke to her. What did He say? Per her, God told her to take it easy and go to the Zoo and relax a little (she put this in writing). One so-called preacher said that Jesus told him, “I never claimed to be God . . .” Another very popular TV preacher said, “he didn’t know if Jesus was the only way to God.” And the beat goes on and on, for there is much more, a great deal more.
When I was first saved I ended up in an experience-oriented church, one seeking a new emotional treat every day of the week. People were constantly saying, “Thus sayeth the Lord,” then spouting out things that very often I could not find in Scripture. I was told this was good, that God is speaking through His people. I was challenged by a person from that so-called church to heed these new revelations, that they had to be of utmost importance to the body of Christ! As a new believer I was tossed as to what to do, and in not receiving any voice from God on my own, came to see myself as a “have-not.” Yes, there were the “haves” and the “have-nots.” The question posed to me was, “How do I become a “have” and get this new and special revelation myself?” Brethren, it took a lot to get me straight and out of this so-called Christian movement that “adds” and “takes from” the Word of God!
Israel was sternly warned prior to entering the promised land how it was they were to deal with God’s Word . . .
- “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandment of the LORD your God which I command you.” (Deuteronomy 4:2 – NKJV)
The apostle John, at the end of the Revelation of Jesus Christ, says to the church . . .
- “For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” (Revelation 22:18-19 – NKJV)
Would you not agree that it is a most serious matter to “add to” or “take away from” God’s Word?
If we speak for God it is His Word that flows forth from us. We take in His Word, we study it, applying proper interpretation rules, proper exegesis, and we meditate on it and we memorize it and when the proper time comes in our walk the Holy Spirit brings this Word to our minds to counsel us as per, “Thus sayeth the Lord!” We must not be a part of “adding to” or “taking away from” the holy Word of God. Beware brethren of the temptation to do this, to say too much or to say too little, to omit or add for our convenience, to let our emotions overtake our sound biblical senses.
God has given us His Word, all we need to know for now. It is complete and authoritative and it is the “sword” we use to put down those who would “add to” or “take away from” it (Ephesians 6:17; II Corinthians 10:3-5; John 17:17; II Timothy 3:14-17). It is the check and balance for everything that has to do with what God has to say to this world in which you and I live and to the body of Christ.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be on your guard against an experience oriented walk that can so easily seduce you and lead you away from God’s written Word.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas