We’ve all experienced what the Bible calls conviction— that “nudging” by the Holy Spirit, that heaviness of conscience, as God calls on us to change our ways. But what happens when we choose not to obey the promptings of God? Many Christians have wondered, “Will the Holy Spirit continue to lead me if I keep on sinning?”
Let’s be clear: All Christians continue to sin. 1John 1:9 was written to Christians and it promises God’s forgiveness to those who confess their sins. Scripture teaches that a born-again person doesn’t lose salvation if they commit a sin. But the Bible is clear that while we may struggle with temptations, weaknesses, and sins, Christ’s followers must not willingly and repeatedly yield to them.
The consequences of choosing to habitually sin include:
- Loss of intimacy with God,
- interruption of progress in our spiritual growth,
- anemia in our prayer life, and
- a diminished ability to understand and apply God’s Word (if one is reading their Bible at all).
When a person has resisted the overtures of the Lord over a period of time, the New Testament speaks of their conscience (or heart) becoming “calloused.” The Biblical words used to compare this to tissue in the body that is “dull” or unresponsive to feelings, such as, fat around the heart or intestines (Psalm 17:10; 119:70). The longer we remain in a state of disobedience, the more our ability to recognize the Holy Spirit’s voice will be impaired (see Matthew 13:15; Mark 6:52; Ephesians 4:17-19).
Habitual sin can also bring bitter consequences. In relationships it can cause hurt feelings, loss of trust and respect, and many other emotional and personal repercussions. There can also be physical consequences such as stress, anxiety, and despair. And sins such as gambling and lust for material things will create financial consequences.
Some habitual sins can exist hidden from view of others, at least for a time. Sins such as anger, lust, jealousy, pride, hatred, racial prejudice, unwarranted discouragement, etc. can be kept from public view, but they are never hidden from God; and eventually, their effects will be visible to others.
The Bible Speaks
Bible verses that indicate we are not to harbor sin in our lives are many. Romans 6:14 says that “Sin shall not have dominion over you.” 1 John 3:9 indicates that habitual sin should not be characteristic of the believer: “No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.” (see also Psalm 19:13; Romans 6:12; Ephesians 4:30; I Corinthians 10:13; James 4:7).
How do we recognize sin and with God’s help overcome it? We must know that:
- Christian maturity does not happen automatically.
- Bad habits must be replaced with good ones. Like Joseph, we have to run from the things that tempt us (Genesis 39:15)
- Without the help of the Lord, sin will creep into our lives.
- Choosing to walk closely with God every day takes discipline and commitment.
Therefore, we must determine to
- proactively pursue spiritual growth.
- intentionally making God-honoring choices.
- replace bad habits with good ones.
- flee temptation.
- turn away from the things that can cause us to fall into sin.
- love Jesus with our hearts, souls, and mind; and
- think on Jesus, read His Word, and allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen and guide us
Articles About Salvation
- How can I convince someone that they have eternal security?
- Does Hebrews 6 Teach Salvation Can Be Lost?
- What is eternal security/assurance of salvation? Can I lose salvation?
- What Happens If I Continue to Sin?
- 1 John 1:9 What is the Christian “Bar of Soap?”
- The Gift of SalvaTION: Justification & Imputation
- What you need to know about Sanctification & Glorification
- What are the Doctrines of Imputed, Infused, and Imparted Righteousness?
- Did Jesus Really Mean “Be Perfect?” (Matthew 5:48)
- Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
- How Should I Understand Salvation? In Simple Terms
***For in-depth answers to some of the most challenging Bible questions, Visit
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED