Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Do not be deceived! That has been my biblical theme this week, and oh how you and I need to be aware of just how important this subject is. It is addressed over and over again in the New Testament, from the gospels to the epistles. And its very repetition should be a trumpet call to us to be constantly on the alert for not only deceivers from the outside but, as I have attempted to point out each day this week, even more so for those on the inside of the church. Oh brethren . . . Oh how important sound doctrine in our day and age.
To Titus, a young leader in the church, the apostle Paul wrote of those who were engaged in deception within the church,
“. . . to Titus, my true child in a common faith . . . For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might set in order what remains, and appoint elders in every city as I directed you . . . For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach, for the sake of sordid gain . . . reprove them severely that they may be sound in the faith.” (Titus 1:4-5, 10-13 – NASB)
The apostle obviously had faith in his young co-laborer “Titus.” For He “left” him “in Crete” to “set” things “in order.” There were problems in the churches and it was imperative that someone return these local bodies of believers to “order.”
So, young “Titus” was instructed to get it done. He was to “appoint elders in every city.” And these “elders” were to meet certain qualifications (1:6-8). For “many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers” were “teaching things they should not teach” and subsequently “upsetting whole families” of believers. These “deceivers” needed to be “reproved . . . severely.” The word “reprove” means to “shed light upon; expose by light” (note use of word in II Timothy 3:16). Their “teaching” needed to have the light of the Word of God shed upon it and correction needed to take place so that “they may be sound in the faith.”
Brethren, this is oh so relevant to our day, for right in the midst of churches around the world, right in the midst of churches in our own backyard, it is happening on a much larger scale than when Paul wrote to “Titus.” Larger populations spawn more interested church attenders which in turn creates the greater chance of “rebellious men” and “empty talkers” and “deceivers” infiltrating the body of Christ. If not set apart in the Word (John 17:17) these can easily end up “teaching,” and in turn “teaching things they should not teach.”
That said it is especially important that we note the qualification that Paul lists for the “elder” to have that “Titus” was to “appoint,”
“holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, that he may be able to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.” (Titus 1:9 – NASB)
To fight the good fight, to war the good warfare, to stand firm against the devil, his demons, and the world and all their deceptive teachings, we need leaders who “hold fast the faithful word” and are “able to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict . . . sound doctrine.” That “word . . . is in accordance with” the Bible, the authority for every believer, for every church, the “words” that have been handed down to us in writing that are “in accordance with the teaching” of the Holy Spirit through the apostles who penned the Scriptures.
And every believer should have the same desire, to be one who is “holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching” of holy writ . . . every believer! Why? So that we can also “refute those who contradict . . . sound doctrine.” Truth is ours, it has been given to the church via “sound doctrine.” It must be defended at all cost! “Deceivers” must be “refuted” and “refuted severely.” “The faith” must be contended for (Jude 3) if we are to fulfill our calling to be a body of believers that worships God in Spirit and in truth (John 4:24).
Do not be deceived! And one is not deceived or led astray, when they know “the faithful word.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and labor to be a Berean, one who knows and searches the Scriptures, always testing what is said, what is done, what is promoted, that you might be able to refute what is not in keeping with sound teaching.
Do Not Be Deceived I
Do Not Be Deceived II
Do Not Be Deceived III
Do Not Be Deceived IV
Do Not Be Deceived V
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED