Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
The Lord our God has said to us,
“I am the LORD, and there is no other; there is no other God besides Me . . . I have made the earth, and created man on it. I — My hands — stretched out the heavens, and all their host I have commanded.” (Isaiah 45:5, 12 – NKJV)
This is our God whom we have been saved by and whom we serve . . . He is God!
From John’s first letter we read,
“They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.” (I John 2:19 – NKJV)
Beware brethren, for we live in a day when the “they” that John speaks of are many. “They” are those who seek to come in among us and in doing so attempt to have us compromise the truth, the faith.
In John’s day the Gnostics were very prevalent, and they sought to infiltrate the church with their heresies, seeking to have believers in Christ conform to their doctrine. They were a very influential group, learned in what they believed, aggressive in their evangelistic tactics. John used the truth he had been set apart in (John 17:17) to expose them. Note how he separated them out in chapter one,
“If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not the practice the truth.” (I John 1:6 – NKJV)
“If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” (I John 1:8 – NKJV)
“If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.” (I John 1:10 – NKJV)
Look at what was going on here! Take heed! Take notice! The false teachers came amongst the disciples of Christ and sought to tell them that they could “have fellowship with” Christ and at the same time “walk in darkness.” “They” brought the “lie” into the congregation of believers that said “we have no sin . . . we have not sinned.”
Oh how it appeals to the self when one can say that he can continue to order his behavior in step with his flesh and its desires. Oh how it appeals to the self when one can say that he has “no sin,” has “not sinned.” If this could be true then maybe we really have been misled, deceived, taught that which is false. If this could be true I can then return to my old behavior, I can be released to live to satisfy self and the lust of the flesh, I’m deserving to be held in high-regard.
Just for a moment, think what damage a message of this sort, coming from within the church, would have on the gospel of God.
But do not be deceived! The apostle John, under the control of the Holy Spirit, writes that to say one can “have fellowship with” Christ and still “walk in darkness . . . lies,” and does “not practice the truth.” It is a “lie . . . and the truth is not in” the one who says “they . . . have no sin.” Such people who say such things “deceive” themselves! To say “we have not sinned” makes Christ “a liar” and makes it most evident that “His word is not in us.”
Relevant to today? You bet it is! The New Age Movement and its self-motivated heresies are very prevalent in churches around the world. “Truth” is sacrificed for doctrine that caters to self and the flesh. Church leaders abound that seek to make people feel good about themselves, ministries abound that cater to the self-esteem of their congregations. Church leaders abound that play down “sin,” remove it from their teaching so that “they” might rather build the individual person up.
We must be on guard to such flattering heresies, and we must challenge them with “His word,” His “truth.” We must “practice the truth” and in doing so expose false teaching, false teachers (cf. Titus 1:10-11). We must challenge them with “truth” and call them to repentance and faith in Christ and that “they” submit to the authority of “His word.” If “they” refuse then “they” must go “out from us.” It must be “made manifest” that “they (are) not of us; for if they (were) of us, they would . . . continue with us.”
Do not be deceived!
Have a good day brethren . . . and walk as one who knows the truth and walks in the light of that truth, never afraid to challenge a lie with it.
Do Not Be Deceived I
Do Not Be Deceived II
Do Not Be Deceived III
Do Not Be Deceived IV
Do Not Be Deceived V
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED