Do not be deceived! Part 1
This week we offer five, very short, devotionals on deception. We can all be easily deceived. Short lessons for you to not fall prey to deception. Read pt. 1 now…..
We awake to the new day as subjects of the Kingdom of God, born again subjects that have received the forgiveness of our sins and trespasses through the saving work of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of the Father. Quite a thought to start the new day with.
I would think it safe to say that being deceived is something that none of us wants to happen. I would think that we don’t like the idea at all that someone can entrap us, ensnare us, trip us up, cause us to go the wrong way, do the wrong thing, think the wrong thing.
Interestingly enough the New Testament is filled with warnings regarding being deceived, with commands to stop being deceived. God expects His people to be on their spiritual toes, sober and alert to deception, equipped by His Word and ready to thwart the deceptions of the devil and his demons and of this evil world.
Take note of just some of these warnings to us in Scripture to not be deceived:
“‘Take heed that no one deceive you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.'” (Matthew 24:4-5 – NKJV)
“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived . . .” (I Corinthians 6:9 – NKJV)
“Do not be deceived: ‘Evil company corrupts good habits.'” (I Corinthians 15:33 – NKJV)
“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.” (Galatians 6:7 – NKJV)
“Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.” (Ephesians 5:6 – NKJV)
“Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.” (James 1:16 – NKJV)
“Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.” (I John 3:7 – NKJV)
Just a few of the passages to drive my point home! And in most of these instances the verb is in the imperative, thus commanding the reader to stop being “deceived.” In other words, believers were being deceived. The Scripture says,
“For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.” (Titus 3:3 – NKJV)
The key word here, “were.” We “were . . . deceived.” We are no longer to be “deceived,” it is the command of Scripture. Jesus, when he prayed for His disciples in John 17, prayed that they would be “set apart in the truth,” and then He specified what “truth” that was; “Thy word is truth” (John 17:17). We who are disciples of Christ are to “be diligent” in “rightly dividing” this “word of truth” (II Timothy 2:15), guarding it, retaining it (II Timothy 1:13-14), living it out as “new creations” (II Corinthians 5:17), “walking in newness of life (Romans 6:4), “contending earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3).
“Stop being deceived” wrote Paul and Peter and James and John. Take heed brethren to the warnings of Scripture and the command of God and “do not” allow yourself to “be deceived.”
Have a good day . . . and make sure you are reading and studying the Word of God, equipping yourself as a learned disciple of Christ so that no one may deceive you.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas