I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever. (Psalm 45:17)
The names of God in the Bible provide great insight into understanding and remembering Who God is.
In the Old Testament, we find compound names that give a descriptive Hebrew word combined with the Hebrew word for God, either Jehovah or El. The words help us to better understand the nature and character of God by describing many of His works that flow from His attributes. Reflect on the names below and refer to the verses in which they are spoken. They reveal much about Who God is.
Jehovah-Jireh (yire-eh’) The Lord Will See To It (Genesis 22:14)
Jehovah-Raphe (raw-faw’) The Lord That Makes Whole (Exodus 15:26; Jeremiah 33:6; 1 Kings 18:30; Job 5:17, 5:18; Psalm 103:3, 146:3)
Jehovah-Nissi (nis-see’) The Lord Our Banner (Exodus 17:15)
Jehovah-Shalom (shaw-lome’) The Lord Gives Peace (Judges 6:24)
Jehovah-Tsidkeneau (tsed-ken-oo) The Lord Our Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)
Jehovah-Raah (raw-aw’) The Lord My Shepherd (Psalm 23:1, Ezekiel 34:11-15)
Jehovah-Shama (shawm-a) The Lord is Present (Ezekiel 48:35; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:9)
Jehovah-Sabaoth (sab-ah-owth’) The Lord of Hosts (Psalm 89:1-8)
Jehovah-M’Kaddesh (m kaw-dash’) The Lord Which Sanctifies (Leviticus 20:18, 21:15, 21:23, 22:9, 22:16)
Jehovah-Nakah (naw-kaw) The Lord Who Smites (Ezekiel 7:9)
El-Channun (khan-noon’) The Gracious God (Jonah 4:2)
El- De’ot (el day-aw’) The God of Knowledge (1 Samuel 2:3)
El Echad (ekh-awd’) The One God (Malachi 2:10)
El-Emet (el emet) The God of Truth Psalm 31:5
El-Gibbor (ghib-bore’) The Mighty God (Isaiah 9:6)
El-Hanne’eman (el han-aw-man) The Faithful God (Deuteronomy 7:9)
El-Shaddai (el shad-dah’ee) The Almighty God (Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11; Ruth 1:20-21; 31 x in Job; Ezekiel 10:5)
El-Elyon (el el-yone’) The Most High God, Possessor of Heaven and Earth (Genesis 14:19, 14:22); Most High (Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14; Daniel 3:26, 4:17; Psalm 56:2)
El-Olam (el o-lawm’) Everlasting God (Genesis 21:33) El-Roi (el ro-ee) The God who Sees (Genesis 16:1-13) El-Tsaddik (tsad-deek) The Just God (Isaiah 45:21)
Elohim (el-oh-heem’) The Supreme God (used more than 2,000 times in the Old Testament. First use in Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God. . .)
Read more about the names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua, and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
- What is the New Name Spoken of in Revelation 2:17?
- His be the Victor's Name (song video)
- Forty Titles of Jesus to Know Him Better and Love Him More
- Is Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus God’s Name?
- Names and Titles for the Holy Spirit
Read about other names in the Bible:
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Is there a hidden message in the names in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
Read about the Love of Jesus:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED