Note the Scripture from Proverbs,
- “Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days. There are many plans in a man’s heart, nevertheless the LORD’s counsel — that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:20-21 – NKJV)
Last evening as I caught a portion of a movie on the old tube, I listened to a woman quoting from a book, a book that I did not catch the title of. But the counsel from what she read was something like this (I don’t remember it word for word),
- Drink wine for that is the key to eternal life . . . (probably inferring that it is a key to a quality of life)
She went on to quote from this book that one should live, love, and drink wine. I would think that this theme, if I might add, this counsel, probably laid the groundwork for where the movie was headed as it was titled, “Unfaithful.” Reading a description of the movie one is told that a woman is unfaithful to her husband and turns out having an illicit affair. She commits adultery.
Many have probably seen this movie, and if they have they have heard the quote regarding wine and life and pleasure. The devil and the world attempt to influence our thinking through mediums like this and certainly they know that such advice appeals to the flesh. Such counsel can be something that surely warps Godly thinking.
The book of Proverbs is a book of counsel, intended to impart divine wisdom . . .
- “For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6 – NKJV)
The book of Proverbs contains “crisply stated principles for living.” These principles are given to us to help us gain divine “knowledge” and “understanding.” Note what “the LORD” counsels in contrast to the book quote from the movie,
- “Wine is a mocker; strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise . . . Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long at the wine, who go in search of mixed wine . . .” (Proverbs 20:1, 23:29-30 – NKJV)
The counsel for true wisdom would have told the woman in the movie, and for that matter the people who watch the movie, something entirely different than what she had read from her book. It would have instructed her to not allow “wine” to lead her “astray.” It would have strongly contrasted the message she was getting and if she listened to the “wise . . . counsel,” it would have steered her away from sinning against God.
That’s what God’s Word does. It speaks in stark contrast to what the devil and the world speaks. The book of Proverbs, the Psalms, the words of the Gospels, the Epistles . . . all Scripture in its entirety is “counsel” of a divine nature that is able to make us “wise,” give us “knowledge and understanding” from the mind of the Creator as to how we should act, how we should live, what we should really do to have a true quality of life. The Word of God reveals the will of God . . . it provides counsel for true wisdom.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk make time to be in the book of Proverbs, applying yourself to listen to its counsel and instruction that you may be wise.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store