Note the Scripture from Proverbs,
- “Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days. There are many plans in a man’s heart, nevertheless the LORD’s counsel — that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:20-21 – NKJV)
Last evening as I caught a portion of a movie on the old tube, I listened to a woman quoting from a book, a book that I did not catch the title of. But the counsel from what she read was something like this (I don’t remember it word for word),
- Drink wine for that is the key to eternal life . . . (probably inferring that it is a key to a quality of life)
She went on to quote from this book that one should live, love, and drink wine. I would think that this theme, if I might add, this counsel, probably laid the groundwork for where the movie was headed as it was titled, “Unfaithful.” Reading a description of the movie one is told that a woman is unfaithful to her husband and turns out having an illicit affair. She commits adultery.
Many have probably seen this movie, and if they have they have heard the quote regarding wine and life and pleasure. The devil and the world attempt to influence our thinking through mediums like this and certainly they know that such advice appeals to the flesh. Such counsel can be something that surely warps Godly thinking.
The book of Proverbs is a book of counsel, intended to impart divine wisdom . . .
- “For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6 – NKJV)
The book of Proverbs contains “crisply stated principles for living.” These principles are given to us to help us gain divine “knowledge” and “understanding.” Note what “the LORD” counsels in contrast to the book quote from the movie,
- “Wine is a mocker; strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise . . . Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long at the wine, who go in search of mixed wine . . .” (Proverbs 20:1, 23:29-30 – NKJV)
The counsel for true wisdom would have told the woman in the movie, and for that matter the people who watch the movie, something entirely different than what she had read from her book. It would have instructed her to not allow “wine” to lead her “astray.” It would have strongly contrasted the message she was getting and if she listened to the “wise . . . counsel,” it would have steered her away from sinning against God.
That’s what God’s Word does. It speaks in stark contrast to what the devil and the world speaks. The book of Proverbs, the Psalms, the words of the Gospels, the Epistles . . . all Scripture in its entirety is “counsel” of a divine nature that is able to make us “wise,” give us “knowledge and understanding” from the mind of the Creator as to how we should act, how we should live, what we should really do to have a true quality of life. The Word of God reveals the will of God . . . it provides counsel for true wisdom.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk make time to be in the book of Proverbs, applying yourself to listen to its counsel and instruction that you may be wise.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas