Note the Scripture from Proverbs,
- “Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days. There are many plans in a man’s heart, nevertheless the LORD’s counsel — that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:20-21 – NKJV)
Last evening as I caught a portion of a movie on the old tube, I listened to a woman quoting from a book, a book that I did not catch the title of. But the counsel from what she read was something like this (I don’t remember it word for word),
- Drink wine for that is the key to eternal life . . . (probably inferring that it is a key to a quality of life)
She went on to quote from this book that one should live, love, and drink wine. I would think that this theme, if I might add, this counsel, probably laid the groundwork for where the movie was headed as it was titled, “Unfaithful.” Reading a description of the movie one is told that a woman is unfaithful to her husband and turns out having an illicit affair. She commits adultery.
Many have probably seen this movie, and if they have they have heard the quote regarding wine and life and pleasure. The devil and the world attempt to influence our thinking through mediums like this and certainly they know that such advice appeals to the flesh. Such counsel can be something that surely warps Godly thinking.
The book of Proverbs is a book of counsel, intended to impart divine wisdom . . .
- “For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6 – NKJV)
The book of Proverbs contains “crisply stated principles for living.” These principles are given to us to help us gain divine “knowledge” and “understanding.” Note what “the LORD” counsels in contrast to the book quote from the movie,
- “Wine is a mocker; strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise . . . Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long at the wine, who go in search of mixed wine . . .” (Proverbs 20:1, 23:29-30 – NKJV)
The counsel for true wisdom would have told the woman in the movie, and for that matter the people who watch the movie, something entirely different than what she had read from her book. It would have instructed her to not allow “wine” to lead her “astray.” It would have strongly contrasted the message she was getting and if she listened to the “wise . . . counsel,” it would have steered her away from sinning against God.
That’s what God’s Word does. It speaks in stark contrast to what the devil and the world speaks. The book of Proverbs, the Psalms, the words of the Gospels, the Epistles . . . all Scripture in its entirety is “counsel” of a divine nature that is able to make us “wise,” give us “knowledge and understanding” from the mind of the Creator as to how we should act, how we should live, what we should really do to have a true quality of life. The Word of God reveals the will of God . . . it provides counsel for true wisdom.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk make time to be in the book of Proverbs, applying yourself to listen to its counsel and instruction that you may be wise.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge