This year, January 20th is National Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. (It’s the Sunday closest to the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Read an abridged history of the day below.)
When Does a Woman Become a Mother?
We often hear people refer to a woman who is pregnant with her first child as a “mother-to-be.” That title is really incorrect. It implies something that Christians should understand to be unbiblical. It suggests that the woman will become a mother when her child is born, but is not yet a mother.
What Defines a Mother?
Incorrectly, the title mother-to-be implies that the birth of the baby makes her a mother. As Christians, we should understand that a woman becomes a mother at the moment of conception. Just as we proclaim that the life of the child begins at conception, we should also proclaim that motherhood begins at conception.
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a “mother” as a female parent. The dictionary defines “parent” as one that begets or brings forth offspring or a person who brings up and cares for another. This definition of parent declares the title “mother” to be inclusive of both those who carry a baby in the womb and gives birth and those who adopt a child or foster a child. It defines mothering as a role, a job, and a responsibility that a female parent performs.
With that definition, it’s clear that a woman becomes a mother the moment a baby is conceived. She provides a home for the child, nourishment for the child, and protection for the child as the child grows. It’s likely the mother provides even more than we know as she is connected with her child by the umbilical cord and there’s a bond of love that grows as her child grows in her womb.
“Motherhood Begins at Conception”
This should be another proclamation of support for the Pro-Life movement. As Christians, it is our duty to proclaim the sanctity of the life of the pre-born and the importance of protecting life in the womb.
Never call a woman carrying her first child in her womb a “mother-to-be.” Call her a mother and remind her that she is already mothering her child.
Look for Ways to Proclaim the Truth of Human Life in the Womb
My daughter was pregnant with her first child in December 2018. As a way of illustrating the sanctity of life of the child she was carrying, I gave her a Christmas ornament with “Baby’s First Christmas 2018.” The ornament had a place to insert baby’s picture so I inserted a picture of her child from her most recent ultrasound.
That Christmas truly was our grandson’s first Christmas. We were not able to hold him or enjoy him, as were did in 2018, but he was still every bit as much dwelling with us as if he had already been born.
Whom Having Not Seen, We Love
The love for an unborn child should be similar to the love we have for Jesus. None of us have ever seen Jesus. Jesus has never been physically present with any of us. Yet, we know he’s with us. We feel His presence because we “see” with the “eyes” of our hearts.
The same is true with a pre-born child. The child’s presence is very much felt and the child can be “seen” with the “eyes” of one’s heart.
Just as we rejoice in Jesus whom we have not seen, there is great rejoicing in a pre-born child. Just as parents, grandparents, family, and friends eagerly await the birth of a pre-born child, we eagerly await the day when we will see Jesus face-to-face.
1 Pet 1:8 Whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory
History of National Sanctity of Human Life Day (abridged article from Wikipedia)
National Sanctity of Human Life Day is an observance declared by several United States Presidents who opposed abortion typically proclaimed on or near the anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision in Roe v. Wade.
This day is observed on the Sunday on, or closest to, the anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision in Roe v. Wade, which occurred on January 22, 1973.
- President Ronald Reagan issued a presidential proclamation on January 13, 1984, designating Sunday, January 22, 1984, as National Sanctity of Human Life Day. Reagan issued the proclamation annually thereafter, designating Sanctity of Human Life Day to be the closest Sunday to the original January 22 date.
- [Reagan’s] successor, George H. W. Bush, continued the annual proclamation throughout his presidency.
- Bush’s successor, Bill Clinton, discontinued the practice throughout his eight years in office.
- Bush’s son and Clinton’s successor, George W. Bush, resumed the proclamation and did so every year of his presidency.
- Barack Obama never issued a National Sanctity of Human Life proclamation during his presidency.
- In the first year of his presidency, Donald Trump issued a proclamation declaring January 22, 2018 to be National Sanctity of Human Life Day.
The proclamation of National Sanctity of Human Life Day has been heralded by National Right to Life as “a wonderful statement of what the pro-life movement is really all about” while reproductive rights groups like NARAL and Planned Parenthood have denounced it, saying it signals a desire to roll back the rights of women.
A Christian Stand
We should acknowledge this day, let it be a reminder of the sanctity of life, and a motivation to proclaim our Pro-Life position. Take a minute and watch this moving and thought-provoking video and read and watch some of our articles and videos from previous years.
Pro-Life Articles and Videos
- What is the National Sanctity of Human Life Day?
"Choice" Spoken Word Poetry Video by EZ Zwayne
- What Does It Mean to Be Created in God’s Image? (article and video)
- Pro-Life Matters (article and video)
- Who Can Tell Me? (article and video)
- God's Masterpiece (article and video)
- Formed by His Hand (video)
- The Miracle of Life (video)
- Before Time Began (video + facts and statistics you need to know)
- If Pre-borns Could Talk: A Conversation in the Womb (article and video)
- When Does a Woman Become a Mother? (Sanctity of Human Life Day)
- Who Are You? (Designed by the Creator video)
- You've Discovered You Are Pregnant (video)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas