From the Proverbs we read,
- “When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable. But he who restrains his lips is wise” (Proverbs 10:19 – NASB)
So . . . . much said leads to problems. The possibility of a “transgression” increase with the more “words” we speak. Want to be “wise?” God says, “restrain your lips.”
There is in the book of Proverbs much written about the use of the tongue. There are approximately 27 warnings against speaking lies. There are some 8 condemnations regarding gossip. Note,
- “He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy conceals a matter” (Proverbs 11:13 – NASB)
A “talebearer” is one who uses the tongue to gossip! The Hebrew word actually translates out as, “a scandal-monger.” Want to be considered “trustworthy?” Be cautious and willing to “conceal a matter.”
There are multiple warnings in Proverbs about using the tongue to criticize, as a means to slander, as a means to hurt someone. Note,
- “There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (Proverbs 12:18 – NASB)
All too often people “speak rashly.” They “thrust” forward with their words like a cavalier lunging forward with his “sword” to fell someone. And there are, because of this, great wounds inflicted on the people around them. The “wise” person,” attempts to be cautious (there’s that word again) and such “speaks” words measured and weighed, words meant to “bring healing.”
Our text for the day clearly warns that there is great danger in too many words. When the tongue is not bridled it becomes a weapon, a “sword,” and all too often not a “sword of the Spirit,” as Paul talks about in Ephesians six, but a harmful “sword,” one that leads to “transgressions” against God and against others. Too many words flowing off the “tongue” is not a good thing. There is wise counsel in the following text,
- “He who restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is counted prudent.” (Proverbs 17:27-28 – NASB)
Tongue warnings! Counsel for the mind and subsequently for our tongues. Interesting isn’t it, the word “cool” being used in the NASB translation of verse 27. We sure use that word a lot in our day. And of course it is used to note that something is good, it is alright, that it is meets with our approval: “cool.” So . . . . one “who restrains his words” is “a man of understanding” and such a “man . . . has a cool spirit.” I like that!
I think I’ve said enough . . . . time to “restrain” the old “tongue” and be considered as one who “has a cool spirit.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and beware the tongue, beware the temptation to let our tongues overrun our minds. Be of a cool spirit by being silent, controlling that little physical item we call the tongue.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR