From First Chronicles we read,
- “of the sons of Issachar who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do” (I Chronicles 12:32 – NKJV)
Our youth pastor referenced this verse this past Sunday morning as a lead in to his message, “Dangerous Devices & Diligent Disciplines.”
I would believe that our text would espouse something we would, as Christians, earnestly desire in our day, “sons . . . who had understanding of the times, to know what (they) ought to do.”
Our youth pastor was energized in his message in dealing with devices that have captured the minds of our youth in this day in which you and I live. With eyes constantly peering at electrical devices, a generation is being led away from the written Word to images, and they are finding the devices and their images to be that which seems to satisfy what they think to be there every longing.
Look around you! Is it not true? From iPads to iPhones, to Nooks and Kindles, PCs, Macs and TVs . . . technology has taken us to a point in our “times” in which, the “devices” are so numerous they outnumber the users. There are more “devices” than there are people!
And the “dangerous devices” are winning over our youth, and for that matter, the parents of these youths. Social media via electronic “devices” boggles the mind! Oh my! Have you stopped, and have you viewed, and have you bothered to seek an “understanding of the times” and what is going on around you?
We who belong to Christ should surely be aware, as we view those who are around us, what is happening with media and the “devices” that channel this media. Brethren, it is not good! And what is needed badly are those who are “understanding” this and “know what (they) ought to do.” Our youth pastor, in his informative message, gave some excellent “disciplines” that we, who are disciples of Christ, might want to take serious note of . . .
DISCIPLINE #1 – Determine to touch the Word of God first, not your device. (Psalm 88:13; 119:147)
- “My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.” (Psalm 5:3 – NKJV)
DISCIPLINE #2 – Determine to say no to devices and be aware of the temptations. (II Peter 2:19; Titus 2:11-12)
- “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” (II Corinthians 6:12 – NKJV)
DISCIPLINE #3 – Determine to use your device as a tool to build up, not tear down. (Proverbs 17:28; 18:7)
- “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” (Ephesian 4:29 – NKJV)
What excellent disciplines to pass on to our children, to our teens . . . to ourselves. Oh my, can’t we see what is happening all around us? A generation is being shaped and formed into the image of this world and “dangerous devices” are being used to accomplish this. Oh that we would be as the “sons of Issachar . . . understanding the times” and “knowing what” we “ought to do. Certainly the “disciplines” listed above provide us with a great starting point.
It is certainly no light matter, that which is happening all around us. We need to be alert to it and we need to act so as not to allow the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2) to take us captive via “dangerous devices.”
Have a good day . . . and as you walk do so as one who understands the times, understands the enemy, and is laboring to take in God’s Word that you might know what you ought to do.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR