2021 has been an incredibly difficult year of unprecedented events with things happening that we never could have imagined two years ago.
As Christians, we have the Word of God for wisdom and guidance in life. But what about other people? In years past, even non-Christians lived with Judeo-Christian morals, values, and ethics. And almost all people believed in the self-evident truths of God. But all that has changed. There once was a common sense that was universally held, but it is not that way anymore.
With all the darkness we experience today, let’s lighten the feelings of discouragement with a little humor. While this is funny, it is also alarmingly true. It’s the obituary of our old and faithful friend, Common Sense. He may be gone, but we can be certain: The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.” (Isa 40:8, 1 Pet 1:24c-25a)
Common Sense Obituary — 2021
Common Sense, a beloved old friend, has died. We mourn his passing. He will be greatly missed.
His age is unknown because his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape. He died sometime this year in 2021. The date is uncertain because he passed quietly from this earth and few people even noticed.
Common Sense will be remembered as having lived by knowledge and reason and having shared his wisdom with all who would listen. He shared some of life’s most basic lessons, such as when it’s time to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and a penny saved is a penny earned.
And for those who were interested, he also shared some of life’s most important lessons, including: a house divided cannot stand, don’t let the sun go down on your anger, don’t borrow trouble, laughter is the best medicine, people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, hold your tongue, there is nothing new under the sun, united we stand and divided we fall, and more! *
Common Sense lived a simple life.
He practiced sound financial policies and didn’t spend more than he earned. He also believed in time-proven methods like adults being in charge, not children, and healthy eating and exercise for good health. However, his health began to deteriorate when overbearing regulations were imposed in his workplace and caused stress, headaches, and eventually his termination. People began to ignore his counsel and many just forgot about him altogether. Alone and lonely, Common Sense became confused when he heard reports of:
- a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate,
- teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch,
- a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student,
- a boy thinking he’s a girl and a girl thinking she’s a boy,
- free speech being restricted,
- the teaching of the Bible being rejected,
- people being cancelled, and more.
Common Sense’s health continued to deteriorate when he heard:
- parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children,
- parents blamed the church because their children no longer believed in God,
- schools began teaching truth is relative, gender can be fluid, and all religions are the same,
- people failed to save for a rainy day and then complained about lack of money,
- schools were required to get parental consent to give an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents if a student wanted an abortion or a sex change.
Then, Covid shut down the whole world. And Common Sense became anxious, depressed, and filled with despair. He became totally discouraged when doctors had no treatment for the cause of his despair and declining health, and they only prescribed drugs to help him sleep.
Common Sense started losing his will to live when:
- his church began to teach less about the Saviour and nothing about the consequences of sin;
- Bible studies became more about people’s opinions than God’s words;
- people talked more about Facebook gossip than gospel hope, and
- it became hard to tell the difference between a Sunday morning worship service and a Saturday night rock concert.
Shortly before his death…
Common Sense was injured when he fought off a burglar in his home. Later the burglar sued him for assault. Then Common Sense had a heart attack when he heard of men having surgeries to become women and women to become men. And then he had a stroke when he learned that constitutional rights were being redefined and restricted. Finally, he gave up any will to live, not wanting to catch the disease of insanity sweeping like a plague across the world in 2021.
Very few people noticed Common Sense’s declining health. He died alone having been preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, his son Reason, his brother Discernment, and his three sisters Knowledge, Belief, and Faith. Common Sense is survived by four grandchildren, What Now, Oh No, Can it Be, and Help Needed. They greatly mourn his passing.
Common Sense is also survived by his estranged step brother, Half Wit, and his six children, Know My Rights, Want It Now, Always Right, Not at Fault, I’m A Victim, and I’m the Greatest. They were shocked that Common Sense held on for so long.
Rest in Peace, Common Sense. We miss you greatly.
* all of the sayings in blue bold text, above, can be found in the Bible. Get the book,“Who Said that? Common Everyday Sayings” to find out where they are found in Scripture and also who said them.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED