There are certain threads of teaching that are woven through the Old Testament and into the New. One of them is a Thread of Heresy, and we who are in the Word and of the Word should not fail to miss it. It is heresy that comes from within,
- “And now, this commandment is for you, O priests . . . ‘For the lips of a priest should preserve knowledge, and men should seek instruction from his mouth; for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts. But as for you, you have turned aside from the way; you have caused many to stumble by the instruction; you have corrupted the covenant of Levi,’ says the LORD of hosts.” (Malachi 2:1, 7-8 – NASB)
The last prophet in our English Bibles brings God’s rebuke upon the “priests” who were supposed to “preserve knowledge,” who were supposed to be those from whom “men should seek instruction,” who were supposed to be “messengers of the LORD.” Men in places of great responsibility, who were required to teach truth had “corrupted the covenant” and had “caused many to stumble” by their teaching. Having “turned aside from the way” they were no longer teachers of God’s truth but teachers of heresy.
The Thread of Heresy continues as we move into the New Testament, as we read of the Pharisees and the Sadducees and the Scribes. The Son of God rebukes the so-called religious leaders,
- “‘Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites . . . Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men . . . You nicely set aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition . . . thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down;'” (Mark 7:6, 8-9, 13 – NASB)
The Thread of Heresy continues on and is evident in the religious leaders of Christ’s day as the Pharisees and the scribes and the Sadducees “neglect the commandment of God” and replace it with “the tradition of men, their “tradition.” They taught their “tradition” instead of God’s truth and Jesus rebuked them for “invalidating the word of God by (their) tradition” that they had “handed down” to “men.”
Lies replacing the truth of God’s Word! Heresies that corrupt and adulterate the Word of God! Coming from within. Note the apostle Paul’s warning to the leaders of the New Testament church in Ephesus,
- “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore, be on the alert . . .” (Acts 20: 28-31 – NASB)
The Thread of Heresy . . . it will continue on says Paul. “Savage wolves will” not only come from without but “from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things,” teaching heresy. “Be on guard” the apostle warns, “be on the alert.”
And brethren, the same admonition comes to us who make up the body of Christ! For the Thread of Hersey is very prevalent in this day in which you and I live in. It is everywhere and most evident from within the church itself, men and also women, twisting God’s truth from pulpits, speaking lies through the radio waves, teaching heresy through the medium of television.
The Thread of Heresy is very real . . . . “Be on guard” brethren, not only for “yourselves” but having a great concern for “the flock” of God. And be in the Word so that you can test the teaching of the Word, that you not be lured away from the truth of the Word.
Have a good day . . . . and as you walk beware and be on the alert for heresies from without and within. Heresies that would pervert God’s truth.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge
Share your faith...