There are certain threads of teaching that are woven through the Old Testament and into the New. One of them is a Thread of Heresy, and we who are in the Word and of the Word should not fail to miss it. It is heresy that comes from within,
- “And now, this commandment is for you, O priests . . . ‘For the lips of a priest should preserve knowledge, and men should seek instruction from his mouth; for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts. But as for you, you have turned aside from the way; you have caused many to stumble by the instruction; you have corrupted the covenant of Levi,’ says the LORD of hosts.” (Malachi 2:1, 7-8 – NASB)
The last prophet in our English Bibles brings God’s rebuke upon the “priests” who were supposed to “preserve knowledge,” who were supposed to be those from whom “men should seek instruction,” who were supposed to be “messengers of the LORD.” Men in places of great responsibility, who were required to teach truth had “corrupted the covenant” and had “caused many to stumble” by their teaching. Having “turned aside from the way” they were no longer teachers of God’s truth but teachers of heresy.
The Thread of Heresy continues as we move into the New Testament, as we read of the Pharisees and the Sadducees and the Scribes. The Son of God rebukes the so-called religious leaders,
- “‘Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites . . . Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men . . . You nicely set aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition . . . thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down;'” (Mark 7:6, 8-9, 13 – NASB)
The Thread of Heresy continues on and is evident in the religious leaders of Christ’s day as the Pharisees and the scribes and the Sadducees “neglect the commandment of God” and replace it with “the tradition of men, their “tradition.” They taught their “tradition” instead of God’s truth and Jesus rebuked them for “invalidating the word of God by (their) tradition” that they had “handed down” to “men.”
Lies replacing the truth of God’s Word! Heresies that corrupt and adulterate the Word of God! Coming from within. Note the apostle Paul’s warning to the leaders of the New Testament church in Ephesus,
- “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore, be on the alert . . .” (Acts 20: 28-31 – NASB)
The Thread of Heresy . . . it will continue on says Paul. “Savage wolves will” not only come from without but “from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things,” teaching heresy. “Be on guard” the apostle warns, “be on the alert.”
And brethren, the same admonition comes to us who make up the body of Christ! For the Thread of Hersey is very prevalent in this day in which you and I live in. It is everywhere and most evident from within the church itself, men and also women, twisting God’s truth from pulpits, speaking lies through the radio waves, teaching heresy through the medium of television.
The Thread of Heresy is very real . . . . “Be on guard” brethren, not only for “yourselves” but having a great concern for “the flock” of God. And be in the Word so that you can test the teaching of the Word, that you not be lured away from the truth of the Word.
Have a good day . . . . and as you walk beware and be on the alert for heresies from without and within. Heresies that would pervert God’s truth.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas