The Antichrist and His Mark
In the article What is the Mark of the Beast, we addressed that this mark will be:
- “his mark” — the beast/the Antichrist’s mark (Rev 14:9)
- received in the forehead or hand (Rev 14:9)
- the ultimate bad thing (Rev 14:10,11)
- permanent (Rev 14:11)
We also looked at how the mark of the beast will seal those who take it–seal them to condemnation. This will be a counterfeit of God’s work of sealing believers with His Holy Spirit–sealing them in salvation. (Read What is the Mark of the Beast)
Remembering that we cannot know with any certainty what this mark will be, let’s consider what some have suggested it might be.
Is the mark of the beast a tattoo?
For centuries people have supposed that this mark will be a cutting or a tattoo. Some have used this reasoning to say that getting a tattoo is a sin (Read: Is a Tattoo a Sin?). It has also been suggested that the tattoos forced upon Jews during World War II were a “type” of mark of the beast—however a different “beast.” We know that Hitler was a “type” of the Antichrist. We also know that he was a beast. However, he was not THE Antichrist, or THE beast.
Since the marks tattooed on the Jews during WWII were identifiers, we can understand why some people think of those marks as having pre-figured the mark of the evil one in the end of days. There is some typology, however, there are many significant differences. One is that whoever takes THE Antichrist’s mark will do so willingly, believing his lies, and pledging allegiance to him. His mark will allow them freedom to buy and sell. The marks placed upon the Jews were forced upon them by Hitler. Those marks did not indicate any allegiance to him, nor did they allow the people any freedom to buy or sell…or even to live.
Is the mark of the beast a computer chip?
Many also think that the mark will be something inserted inside the body, probably some type of computer chip. The King James Bible translation of Revelation 14:9 is used to support this reasoning. That verse says the mark will be “IN” the forehead or the hand (other translations say “on”).
Yes, the mark could possibly be “in” the skin, especially with RFID chips being the size of a grain of rice. However, the KJV’s use of the word “in” does not validate this reasoning. This verse in Matthew is also translated using “in” rather than “on:”
Matthew 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
When Jesus returns and sets up His earthly Kingdom to do His fathers work, we know that it will be “on” the earth not “in” the earth.
Is the mark of the beast a barcode?
A barcode is an optical machine-readable representation of data that relates to the object to which it is attached. Because barcodes are used for identification purpose on almost every product imaginable, it’s no surprise some suggest a barcode could serve the purpose of identifying allegiance to the Antichrist. Some have even suggested that all barcodes contain the number 666. Is that true?
The misunderstanding arises because the number six is represented by a pattern similar to that of the guard bars. Since these three guard bars are used to mark the beginning, middle, and end of every barcode, people have mistakenly claimed that the number 6-6-6 is found in every barcode.
What do we know?
First of all, what we know is that we do not know. The Bible does not tell us what the mark of the beast will be.
Additionally, we know that if someone gets a tattoo during the time in which we live (the Church Age), or even if someone has a computer chip implanted (it’s already being done with animals), it can NOT be the mark of the beast. It can’t be “his mark” for two reasons:
- The mark will be a permanent sealing by Satan. Believers are already permanently marked and sealed by the Holy Spirit. They belong to Jesus forever. And, non-believers cant’ be sealed by Satan, because no one, during the Church Age, is beyond redemption prior to taking their last breath.
- The mark will not be available until the time of the Tribulation, which is revealed in the Book of Revelation and takes place after the Rapture of the Church. (Read: What is the Rapture? Is it biblical? and Why a Pre-trib Rapture?)
Finally, and most important, we know for certain that we do not want anyone to enter into the Tribulation and face the possibility of taking the mark of the beast. No one knows when Jesus will come for His Church, so we want everyone to come to Jesus today. The Bible tells us… NOW is the Day of Salvation (2 Corinthians 6:2)
Those who repent and trust in Jesus will be saved and will be taken to Heaven to be with Jesus, PRIOR to the beginning of the Tribulation.
Therefore, the only way to be guaranteed that family, friends and acquaintances will never take the mark, is to help them come to saving faith in Jesus NOW.
You should not be too concerned about things in the end times. Instead, learn what you can from God’s Word about what is prophesied. Then be motivated to go forth and share the gospel of saving grace with someone today.
More on this subject:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas