Holy . . . it is something we are commanded to strive to be (I Peter 1:16; Hebrews 13:14; Leviticus 11:44) . . . it is something God is!
- “In the year of King Uzziah’s death, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings, with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called out to another and said, ‘Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD of hosts” (Isaiah 6:1-3 – NASB)
When something is repeated three times, as in our text, it is for emphasis. Yaweh, “the LORD of hosts,” the Creator, He is “Holy, Holy, Holy!” And for eternity the “Seraphim” will surround His “throne” and proclaim this. They do so now and they will forever!
What does the word mean, this word, “Holy?” Zodhiates writes regarding the Hebrew word, “it means sacred (ceremonially or morally) . . . pure.” God is, with emphasis, “sacred,” He is “set-apart” in every detail of His being. He is “pure” to the point that our finite minds are incapable of grasping. Maybe that is why He had Isaiah write this, for as already noted, three times is for emphasis.
Zodhiates notes that, “Because God is holy, He is free from the moral imperfections and failures associated with mankind.” The prophet Hosea wrote,
- “For I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst” (Hosea 11:9 – NASB)
It is fitting that in the last book of God’s Word, we are again reminded of this, His greatest attribute. And once again it is with emphasis,
- “And from the throne proceed flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder . . . And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within, and day and night they do not cease to say, ‘Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come” (Revelation 4:5, 8 – NASB)
Ah yes . . . “the Almighty,” He is “the LORD God,” He is Yaweh, the Exalted Creator “who was and who is and who is to come!” He is “Holy, Holy, Holy!” Yes, “Holy” with emphasis!
The Greek word used here in The Revelation means the same as the Hebrew word; “set apart, sanctified, consecrated” (Zodhiates)
God is “set apart,” He is pure and right and without spot or stain. He is not as man is and He is “not man.” He is the Creator of “man.” He is “the LORD God, the Almighty,” and He would have us know this and take it to heart . . . with emphasis . . . that He is “Holy, Holy, Holy!”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk seek to understand His holiness, and seek to understand that He has saved you and set you apart that you might manifest it (I Peter 1:16).
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR