Today I am at The Cove (Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Training Center), in beautiful Asheville, NC–attending a three-day conference on evangelism with my friend and colleague Alex McFarland of Alex McFarland Evangelistic Ministries. Alex’s conference on “Effective Evangelism in the 21st Century” will be a wonderful opportunity to learn more about evangelism. It’s also certain to be a great challenge, as well as a great motivation, to share the gospel message even more.
Before discussing the reasons to witness/evangelize, let’s remember that evangelism can simply be understood as sharing Jesus and our faith with others. The word evangelism comes from the Greek word euangelion, which means good news. The word gospel derives from euangelos, meaning to bring good news, which comes from eu + angelos (messenger). To witness is to testify, or speak of, the good news of the gospel.
Jesus commissioned us to testify of Him, so evangelism is to be a relevant and significant part of every Christian’s life. Therefore, Reasons for Hope is dedicating this whole week to the importance of sharing our faith with the lost and also with our brothers and sisters in Christ. Please read today’s Got Questions, watch for Thursday’s Two Minute Teaching and read Friday’s Power of Hope. It’ll be like a shot of adrenaline to boost your desire to witness and evangelize.
Since I am at the conference right now (Monday-Wednesday, 4/27-29) I wrote this article last week, prior to the great lessons that Alex is teaching. This will be a brief reminder of the reasons we are to share our faith, and hopefully, it will be a motivation to tell others more about Jesus and share His saving grace more often.
Three Reasons to Witness
1) The number one reason to witness is our love for Jesus. When we consider what He has done for us in forgiving our sins and giving us new life in Him, we should be overwhelmed with love and gratitude and it should pour forth like a garden hose to water gospel seeds that we plant and those planted by others. We should desire to share our love for Jesus with others.
2) Jesus has commissioned and commanded us to do so (Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15). In sharing our faith with others we fulfill our commission as ambassadors for the gospel (2 Corinthians 5:20) and we serve the Lord.
3) Our hearts should break for that which breaks the heart of Jesus. The Lord is not willing that any should perish, but that all will come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). We should great have compassion and love for those who do not know Jesus. They need to hear (Romans 10:13-14, 17). We know what their eternal destiny will be (John 3:18) and we do not want them to take their last breath and face judgment (Hebrews 9:27) without their sins being forgiven and Christ’s righteousness having been given to them (2 Corinthians 5:21).
Remember the Three
Those are the three very simple reasons to evangelize. Let’s summarize because they are the three reasons from which all other reasons derive.
- We start with Jesus and our love for Him (Commandment #1, Mat 22:37, Mark 12:30, Luke 10:27).
- We remember the Lord’s work in us and His work for us and that we are His ambassadors to preach His gospel (2 Corinthians 5:20, Ephesians 6:19-20)
- We consider and love our neighbor (Commandment #2, Mat 22:39, Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27) and we remember the gift and power of the Holy Spirit to direct and guide our hearts and words. The Holy Spirit will create in us a desire to share our faith and He will give us the ability to do so.
As we reflect back on Resurrection Sunday, only a few short weeks ago, let us look upward and focus on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2) and then move forward to love and serve our neighbors (Romans 10:15, 2 Corinthians 5:19). Jesus desires our love and worship and our neighbor needs our good works. May we honor and glorify Jesus by loving and serving our neighbors….and that includes telling them about Jesus.
One last thing to remember. Witnessing, and evangelizing, is not only for the lost. One of the biggest misconceptions in the church today is that once someone is saved they move beyond their need of the gospel, the good news of Jesus’ saving grace. Nothing could be further from the truth. We need to preach the gospel to ourselves every day, as a way of remembering our great God, all He has done for us and who we are in Him. We are never to move beyond the gospel. We are to move more deeply into the gospel.
In the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ, share your Saviour and your faith with someone today. And preach the gospel to yourself, remembering …
Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. (1 Corinthians 9:14 )
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas