The crown of righteousness is a reward that is mentioned in one of Paul’s letters to Timothy:
2 Tim 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
This verse tells us that a crown that awaits us. It is “laid up,” meaning it is safely kept. “At that day,” we will receive our crowns from the Lord Himself. “That day” is a reference to the judgment seat of Christ, which will take place following the Rapture when all who belong to Jesus (both dead and alive) will be bodily resurrected.
The Judgment Seat of Christ
All Christians will stand before Jesus at His judgment seat:
1 Cor 3:13-15 Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Our works will be judged and rewards given. However, the “crown of righteousness” is not a crown based on our works, but on Jesus’ work for us. Therefore, every Christian will receive the crown of righteousness for Paul said the crown would be given to all who “love His appearing.” The Lord’s appearing will be at the Rapture, and all who are Christ’s will certainly rejoice in His coming. It will be a day of a journey to Heaven, a bodily resurrection for all who died in Christ, and a body and soul resurrection for those still alive in Christ at His coming.
1 Th 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1 Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead [in Christ] shall be raised incorruptible, and we [all who belong to Christ] shall be changed.
As Christians, we wait for the crown that is laid up for us. But in this life we have a “crown” of acceptance in Jesus:
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
Because we are Christians, we belong to Jesus, and we will receive the crown of righteousness. Jesus has saved us (Rom 10:9-13, Eph 2:8), washed our sins away (Rev 1:5), and justified us (Rom 3:24). He has declared us righteous we stand before God in the righteousness of Christ imputed to us (Read: What are the Doctrines of Imputed, Infused, and Imparted Righteousness?)
Rom 4:24 But for us also, to whom it [righteousness] shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
In 1656, Thomas Watson preached a funeral at which he said:
“There is a righteousness by imputation. This is as truly ours to justify us—as it is Christ’s to give us.
“There is a righteousness by implantation. The one is by the merit of Christ, the other is by the Spirit of Christ. Now this implanted righteousness is in the soul, as an intrinsic quality…”
In this sense, we have been crowned now with Christ’s righteousness, credited to us and working in and through us. Therefore, we “rejoice, because [our] names are written in heaven” (Luke 10:20). And we look forward with joy because, “henceforth there is laid up for [us] a crown of righteousness” (2 Tim 4:8)
Read also: What Five Crowns Will Believers Receive?
What If You Aren’t Crowned Now?
If you do not know Jesus, learn about His love and mercy for you. He extends to you an invitation to turn from your sins and come to Him in faith, because He desires to save you and regenerate your soul with newness of life in Him. Please, visit our salvation page and examine your heart, knowing that Jesus loves your and wants to forgive your sins. Click here: How Can I Be Saved and Born Again?
What is the Judgement Seat of Christ?
What Crowns will Believers Receive?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED