“Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.” Matthew 24:42
To watch is the wise exercise of a real Christian who is:
- sensible of his own weakness,
- loves his Savior,
- fears to grieve his Spirit;
- is well acquainted with the depth of corruption in his fallen nature;
- is well apprised of the invisible powers of darkness, and
- hearkens to the voice of his kind and adorable Shepherd.
This watchfulness discovers awakened attention to our spiritual concerns, has the love of Christ for its motive, and is accompanied with a constant dependence on Christ for protection from dangers and for strength against all enemies, together with supplies of grace in every time of need.
If our religion be only in outward profession, it may pass without watching. But if it be true grace in the heart from Jesus Christ, that sacred treasure will need to be guarded with the most anxious circumspection. The exhortation is to all God’s children, necessary in every condition, in every stage of a Christian’s life: in youth, manhood, in old age; in prosperity and in adversity; in the seasons of consolation and in times of temptation; in company and when alone.
O blessed Jesus, help me to watch and pray; let me be always ready; keep me in Your love and preserve me by Your power, till my change shall come.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR