From the book, Who Said That? by Shari Abbott, Reasons for Hope* Jesus
There are many pithy (concise and forcefully expressive) sayings that are used in everyday conversation. Many people use them, but most people have no idea of their origins. It should be no surprise that many of these sayings are found in the Bible. They long pre-date the time when the sayings came into use. This shows how the Bible has always had great influence on man’s life, relationships, and even everyday language. The fact that so many of these saying are still in use today underscores the timeless relevance of God’s Word.
Get the book, learn the sayings, and then, the next time you hear one of these sayings, ask the question, “Who said that?”
Be ready to share the biblical origin and turn the conversation to one of spiritual importance. Use the biblical sayings from Who said that? to start conversations about Jesus!
“Eat, Drink, and Be Merry”
This comes not from the words of Shakespear, or from the lyrics of Dave Matthews. These words were spoken long before by the writer of Ecclesiastes, and by Jesus Himself when He told a parable about a rich farmer. The literal meaning is to find happiness by indulging in pleasures of food, drink, and merriment.
Ecclesiastes 8:15 Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
Luke 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
Read More: Who Said That?
- "Seeing Eye to Eye" Who Said That?
- "Shout it from the Rooftop" Who Said That?
- “No Rest for the Wicked" Who Said That?
- “Laughter is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- “I Wash My Hands of It” Who Said That?
- “My Right Hand Man” Who Said That?
- “Hold Your Tongue!” Who Said That?
- “Eat, Drink and Be Merry.” Who Said That? (and don’t guess Dave Matthews)
- “By the Skin of My Teeth!” Who Said That?
- “A House Divided Cannot Stand” Who Said That?
The Book Who Said That?
Add this to an Easter Basket. Tuck it in a Christmas stocking. Give it as a hostess gift. Or buy it for yourself to get equipped, BECAUSE...
It's easy to start conversations, but it's not easy to make them about matters of spiritual importance.
Turn the Talk
Jesus commissioned us to tell others about who He is and the saving grace He offers. Starting those conversations isn't always easy. So we must learn to listen for opportunities to "turn-the-talk." Hearing a common saying, or using one as you speak, opens the "door" to share the origin of the words in the Bible and to talk about the importance of the Bible and the Person who wrote it!
Who Said That? can also serve as a type of “tract” for your non-believing family and friends. It’s simply a look at the origins of sayings that we all use...until you get to the last few pages. The book closes with the saying, “Yada, yada, yada,” which means “you know, you know, you know.” The statement is then made: “God knows [yada] you” and the question is asked “Do you know [yada] Him?” The question is followed by a gospel presentation and an invitation to repent and trust in Christ, making this book a simple way to share the gospel with an unsaved (and often uninterested or unwilling-to-listen) friend.
Buy the book! CLICK HERE
All proceeds from products at the store go to support the ministry outreach of Reasons for Hope* Jesus.
About the Author: Shari Abbott, executive director for Reasons for Hope* Jesus, is an avid Bible reader and teacher. She is passionate about equipping and encouraging Christians to know Jesus better and to love Him more. Shari is the author of the books, Why the Butterfly? A Book About Rightly Remembering, Remember Me – A Course In Rightly Remembering, Who Said That? Common Everyday Sayings, Got Questions? We have Reasons for Hope (Reasons Books 1, 2 & 3), Fun with Shuns (biblical words ending in -tion) and How to Witness to Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Hear, See, Speak & Post No Evil (available at the Reasons for Hope*Jesus store or ebooks at Amazon).
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store