DATE: 1400-1370 B.C.
While Joshua is identified as the author of this book (24:1-26), there are a few sections (15:13-17, 24:29-31) that must have been written by another. It’s thought that these passages were probably added by Eleazar the priest or by Eleazar’s son Phinehas. Joshua was an eyewitness to many of the events and he recorded them shortly after they took place (6:25).
The book describes the conquest and division of the land of Canaan. It exposes the corrupt and brutal nature of Canaanite religion. God commanded to kill the inhabitants of Canaan and rid the land of the sins of prostitution of both sexes, infant sacrifice, religious syncretism, and more. Having failed to do so, Israel later engaged in many of the sins of the heathen nations including idolatry and false religion.
Joshua was born in Egypt and his given name Hoshea means salvation. Moses changed his name to Joshua (Num 13:16) which means God is Salvation. It’s thought that Joshua might have served in Pharaoh’s army which would have prepared and qualified him to command the Israelites against the Amalekites at Rephidim (Ex. 17:8-16). Joshua served as a minister (personal attendant, (Joshua 1:1) to Moses during the year at Mount Sinai (Ex. 24:13). As the representative of the tribe of Ephraim, Joshua scouted the land of Canaan with the other eleven spies and, along with Caleb, had faith that they could enter the land and be victorious with God’s help. The Lord told Moses to commission Joshua as his successor (Num. 27:18-23) who would lead the people in their conquest of Canaan. Joshua’s outstanding qualities were faith, courage, obedience, and devotion to the law of God.
The book of Joshua emphasizes (1) the faithfulness of God to give Israel the land of Canaan (cf. Gen. 13:15); (2) the importance of the written law of God (Josh. 1:8; 8:32-35; 23:6-16; 24:26-27); and (3) the holiness of God in judging the sins of the Canaanites (cf. Deut. 7:1-6).
OUTLINE OF JOSHUA
I. Entering the Land of Canaan, 1:1-5:15
A. The Commission of God to Joshua, 1:1-9
B. The Command of Joshua to the People, 1:10-18
C. The Canvassing of Jericho: Rahab and the Spies, 2:1-24
D. The Crossing of the Jordan River, 3:1-17
E. The Commemoration of the Crossing, 4:1-24
F. The Circumcision of the People, 5:1-12
G. The Commander of the Lord’s Army, 5:13-15
II. Conquering the Land of Canaan, 6:1-12:24
A. Conquest of Central Canaan, 6:1-8:35
1. Victory at Jericho, 6:1-27
2. Defeat at Ai: Achan’s sin, 7:1-26
3. Victory at Ai, 8:1-29
4. Worship at Ebal, 8:30-35
B. Conquest of Southern Canaan, 9:1-10:43
1. Deception of the Gibeonites, 9:1-27
2. Destruction of the Amorite coalition, 10:1-43
C. Conquest of Northern Canaan, 11:1-15
D. Summary of the Conquest, 11:16-12:24
III. Dividing the Land of Canaan, 13:1-24:33
A. Instructions to Joshua, 13:1-7
B. Division of Transjordan, 13:8-33
C. Division of Canaan, 14:1-19:51
1. Introduction, 14:1-5
2. Inheritance of Judah, 14:6-15:63
3. Inheritance of Ephraim, 16:1-10
4. Inheritance of half-tribe of Manasseh, 17:1-18
5. Survey of remaining land, 18:1-10
6. Inheritance of Benjamin, 18:11-28
7. Inheritance of Simeon, 19:1-9
8. Inheritance of Zebulun, 19:10-16
9. Inheritance of Issachar, 19:17-23
10. Inheritance of Asher, 19:24-31
11. Inheritance of Naphtali, 19:32-39
12. Inheritance of Dan, Josh 19:40-48
13. Special inheritances, 19:49-51
D. Cities of Refuge, 20:1-9
E. Cities of the Levites, 21:1-45
F. Joshua’s Farewell Messages, 22:1-24:28
1. To the two-and-a-half tribes, 22:1-34
2. To the rulers, 23:1-16
3. To the people, 24:1-28
G. The Death of Joshua, 24:29-33
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED