And many spread their clothes on the road, and others cut down leafy branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then those who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: “Hosanna! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ Blessed is the kingdom of our father David That comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” (Mark 11:8-10)
This is commonly known as the Triumphal Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem or Palm Sunday. Imagine a king on coronation day entering the city on a donkey. But why a donkey? It’s because this king is humble and comes in peace. One day He will come again riding on a white horse and will bring judgment but this is not that day.
The beauty of Jesus’ triumphal entry in this manner, is the fulfillment of an old prophecy (Zechariah 520-518 BC) Zechariah wrote “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey. (9:9)
Prince of Peace
The people are fickle. On this day they are hailing Jesus as king but in a few days they will be shouting “Crucify Him”. (Mark 15:14)
Hosanna means “save now, rescue, savior”. They wanted Him to save them from the oppression of the Romans and set up His kingdom, but this was not the purpose of His first coming. This time He comes as the suffering servant, “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”. (John 1:29) This time He comes to die as the sacrificial lamb. This time He comes as Prince of Peace to bring salvation. Jesus said “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30) He came to bring us rest; rest from our striving to please God and win His favor through our own efforts.
King of Compassion and Love
What King do you know that cries over his enemies as Jesus cried over Jerusalem and their lack of faith. He came to gather them to Himself, their Savior, their Messiah. Jesus, the anointed One, the Christ is of the lineage of David. He came to bring them salvation and peace with God but they rejected Him. (Luke 13:34) How interesting that on His way to Jerusalem Jesus passes by the town of Bethphage which means “house of figs”. Jesus is hungry and as He approaches the fig tree, finds no fruit. The significance here is the tree represents religious Israel that was caught up in a ”form” of religion but their hearts were far from God. Jesus then curses the tree for having no fruit in its season.
He came to His own and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. (John 1:11-12) Salvation is available to all who will believe on Him. Have you made Him your Prince of Peace? Have you accepted His sacrifice on your behalf? He was crucified and paid the debt for our sins so that we don’t have to spend eternity separated from God. What will you do with Jesus?
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM’S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men’s THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?