The good that was done by the Bible will probably never be known until the last day. But I shall never hesitate to assert that if there is any fact more incontrovertibly proved than another, it is this: that the possession by a people of the Bible in their own language is the greatest possible national blessing.
- Which are the countries where the greatest amount of ignorance, superstition, immorality, and tyranny is to be found at this very moment? The countries in which the Bible is a forbidden or neglected book. Such countries as Italy and Spain, and the South American countries.
- Which are the countries where liberty and public and private morality have attained the highest pitch? The countries where the Bible is free to all. Like England, Scotland, and the United States.
The Bible and the Nations
Yes! when you know how a nation deals with the Bible, you may generally know what a nation is.
O that the rulers of some nations did but know that a free Bible is the grand secret of national prosperity. And that the surest way to make subjects orderly and obedient, is to allow a free passage to the living waters of God’s Word!
O that the people of some countries did but see that a free Bible is the beginning of all real freedom. And that the first liberty they should seek after, is the liberty to have a Bible in every house, and a Bible in every hand!
“A king on earth has no greater friend than the Bible.”
It is a striking fact, that when British Sovereigns are crowned, they are publicly presented with the Bible, and told, “This Book is the most valuable thing the world affords!”
The Well-being of Nations
This is the book on which the well-being of nations has always hinged. And with which the best interests of every nation in Christendom at this moment are inseparably bound up. Just in proportion as the Bible is honored or not:
- light, or darkness,
- morality, or immorality,
- true religion, or superstition,
- liberty, or despotism,
- good laws, or bad laws
–will be found in a land.
The Bible and the Churches
- Which are the Churches on earth that are producing the greatest effect on mankind? The Churches in which the Bible is exalted.
- Which are the parishes in England and Scotland where religion and morality have the strongest hold? The parishes in which the Bible is most circulated and read.
- Who are the ministers in England who have the most real influence over the minds of the people? Those who are faithfully preaching the Word.
A Church that does not honor the Bible is as useless as a body without life or a steam engine without fire.
A minister who does not honor the Bible is as useless as a soldier without weapons, a builder without tools, a pilot without a compass, or a messenger without tidings.
Indebted to the Bible
This is the book to which the civilized world is indebted for many of its best and most praiseworthy institutions. Few probably are aware how many are the good things that men have adopted for the public benefit, of which the origin may be clearly traced up to the Bible. It has left lasting marks wherever it has been received.
From the Bible are drawn many of the best laws by which society is kept in order.
From the Bible has been obtained the standard of morality about truth, honesty, and the relations of man and wife, which prevails among Christian nations. And which, however feebly respected in many cases, makes so great a difference between Christians and heathen.
To the influence of the Bible, we owe nearly every humane and charitable institution in existence. The sick, the poor, the aged, the orphan, the lunatic, the insane, the blind were seldom or never thought of before the Bible leavened the world. You may search in vain for any record of institutions for their aid in the histories of Athens or of Rome.
Unconcious of the Debt
Alas, many sneer at the Bible and say the world would get on well enough without it. They think little of how great are their own obligations to the Bible.
Little does the infidel think, as he lies sick in some of our great hospitals, that he owes all his present comforts to the very Book he affects to despise. Had it not been for the Bible, he might have died in misery, uncared for, unnoticed, and alone!
Truly, the world we live in is fearfully unconscious of its debts to the Bible. The last day alone, I believe, will tell the full amount of benefit conferred upon it by the Bible.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas